Flowerhorn defined?

Demonfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Kansas City area
My definition of a flowerhorn is a hybrid cichlid based primarily around the Trimac. However, I've seen flowerhorns that don't look like they have a bit of Trimac in them. My flowerhorn is mainly blue, but most I see on the net are red. I recently saw a "flowerhorn" in a shop that looked like a red devil with black circles around it's eyes. Is there any kind of concensus on what makes a flowerhorn vs some other hybrid fish? Certainly a Parrot is a hybrid, but I've never seen them referred to as flowerhorn. Thoughts?

ayobreezie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Flowerhorns are continuously evolving, the older Flowerhorns had a lot of Trimac in them.. but as you can see, Flowerhorns are being hybridized and developed into better colors, etc. But Parrot hybrids are pretty much a stable hybrid.. they all pretty much end up the same.. Flowerhorns, every one is different.

metalslug

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2006
new york
Essentially a flowerhorn is a fish crossed more than 3 tines. So you can have a FH made with Vieja/KKp then a fish from that back to the mother would give you a RBK. Or a Trimac, to a Red Devil, and back the F1 back to one of the parents. But Trimac looks like the 1st of the strains.

Paintsn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
LoNg BeAcH, cA.
easy.. just follow this..it will solve alot of headaches

FH is a hybrid from Mal, any other is just a hybrid.

Just like a FF is hybrid from Taiwan and also a SRT is a hybrid from Thai. So why just can't a hybrid be called a hybrid instead of saying a FF/SRT is a FH??......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store