Arapaima Gigas Alliance

fire999

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
Singapore / Toronto
Hi bros/sis out there,

Thought I started a thread for all you Arapaima fans out there.

Renowned to be the KING of Freshwater fishes in the Amazonian regions, this species is capable of growing up to 12 feet in length. With their bony-tongue, the Arapaima crushes their prey in an instant, sucking them down with a loud pop. Known to be great jumpers, these gigantic creatures have the ability to swallow birds and possibly small animals.

So how many of you have / had / will rear Arapaima(s)?

--> I recently was lucky enough to have gotten 3 arapaimas in a fgt tank but one of them have since passed away due to internal bateria infection caused by feeder fishes (diet).

Since then, an 18 inch Arapaima took over the place of the now-deceased juvenile arapaima and are living in harmony with the other 2 (at half the length). They have a voracious appetite and can eat up to 30-50 feeder kois or goldfishes a day. Growth rate have been rather rapid for all 3 of them and I am expecting them to grow out of their current environment in about 2-3 years.

There you go....my current Arapaima experience.

Please feel free to share your Arapaima sagas here.

Peace,
fire999

Gamble

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
fire999 said:
Hi bros/sis out there,

Thought I started a thread for all you Arapaima fans out there.

Renowned to be the KING of Freshwater fishes in the Amazonian regions, this species is capable of growing up to 12 feet in length. With their bony-tongue, the Arapaima crushes their prey in an instant, sucking them down with a loud pop. Known to be great jumpers, these gigantic creatures have the ability to swallow birds and possibly small animals.

So how many of you have / had / will rear Arapaima(s)?

--> I recently was lucky enough to have gotten 3 arapaimas in a fgt tank but one of them have since passed away due to internal bateria infection caused by feeder fishes (diet).

Since then, an 18 inch Arapaima took over the place of the now-deceased juvenile arapaima and are living in harmony with the other 2 (at half the length). They have a voracious appetite and can eat up to 30-50 feeder kois or goldfishes a day. Growth rate have been rather rapid for all 3 of them and I am expecting them to grow out of their current environment in about 2-3 years.

There you go....my current Arapaima experience.

Please feel free to share your Arapaima sagas here.

Peace,
fire999
some pics would be nice bro.. :drool:

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
whats ur tank

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
I think they are the coolest (after CR or Xback). I'll get a couple next time ....

Tim

kit

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
northern VA
I think they are the coolest (after CR or Xback). I'll get a couple next time ....

Tim

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
don't feed them just koi and goldfish! feed them healthy stuff so disease/thiamin deficiency doesnt happen a 2nd time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store