Rainbow Wolfish = Red High Fin Wolffish

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
I've seen this discussed in several threads on different websites but the information has been contradictory and confusing. Are rainbow wolffish and red high-fin wolffish the same? As far as I can tell both are atleast the same species, E. Erythrinus, but is one a sub species? I've asked around at several lfs in my area and none of the owners, but one, had even heard of a red high-fin!:WHOA: They all knew the rainbow and common but thats it. I'm looking for a smaller wolffish, under 10" or so, that won't just sit around the bottom of my tank waiting to be fed. When ever I see mention of an active wolffish its mentioned in the same post as the red high-fin. Are all the lfs in my area just ignorant or are rainbows and red high-fins the same?

Man, if snakeheads were legal to purchase in MD my life would be so much easier, LOL.

Thanks in advance.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
I've only found one store in my area that even has wolffish and they only have one rainbow. Before I purchase I'd like to have all the facts. Thanks.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
yeah there the same fish and there eazy to care for but i've heard there not to much more active then normal wolfs but stil more active just get lights that are low and it should move more these fish are active just at night

and we all wish we could have snakeheads hopefully its only a matter of time before the goverment realizes that all 29 species don't need to be banned and only a few species in certain places need to be banned but stupid people think all fish are the same

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
yes they are the same. mine were very active, and always hungry.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
Cool, I will the rainbow up today then. Thanks.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
Got my new lil' 4.5 inch rainbow yesterday. He seems to really be enjoying his new home in my 55 gallon community tank. I know he is a killer by nature but so far he is getting along famously with his tank mates. I have 6 tiger barbs, 3 yoyo loaches, a red tailed black shark, a columbian shark and two small danios. Since yesterday the little wolffish has eaten about 5 or 6 rosy red minnows and few ghost shrimp but has not attacked any of my other fish. He allows one of my crazy loaches to lay up against him sometime. Right now he is happily swimming around the tank looking happy. Hard to believe I'll soon have to separate him from the rest. How long before he turns mean? Also are there any fish I can keep with him in a 55g? A guy at the pet store suggested a Gar. I'm thinking he said this because the common wolves hang out at the bottom mostly and gars stay up top.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
he will most likely be ok with other fish of the same size. they can get very aggressive though, and a 55gal would make it pretty easy for him to catch a tankmate if he got hungry enough.

aro-man

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
.....thats a good question....
Right now i have mines with a bichir, bgk, and afer knife. He gets along fine with them. The wolf will actually come to the front and wait for me to feed him. I would make sure the gars bigger, just in case.

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
This is the problem with common names, They get applied to many fish.

As I understand it they are different fish.

Rainbow applied to both Ery. Sp. Peru and Ery. Ery.

and Hifin to Ery. Ery.

ironmunki

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2007
maryland
aro-man how big is your wolf and his tankmates and how long have you had that set-up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store