Hydrogen Peroxide in fish tanks?

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
I have a quick question to anyone who knows anything about it.

Hydrogen Peroxide in fish tanks? I work at a petsmart, and in the event of a power outage that lasts awhile, they say to use hydrogen peroxide basically to put oxygen back into the water.

I know, chemically, it is sound. It basically breaks down into h2o and oxygen.

They have done this one a few occasions, and its worked perfectly, no harm done to fish.

However this time I get a call saying they did it and they're losing and lost a bunch of fish - which is really terrible.

Doing some qiuck research, I also see that it reacts with Amonia and creates an excess in Nitrites and Nitrates, also putting too much over oxydizes the fish.

I want to know, does anyone have specific info on this process?

Such as specific measurements of how much can be used safetly?
Or if its basically a bad idea all together?

I want to compile the info and send it to corporate basically as a guide on the misuse and correct use of hydrogen peroxide in fish tanks during an outage or power failiure emmergency.

Thank you guys

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
When I have power failures, I resort to many daily water changes and keep the tanks as cool as possible (out of the sun, no lid, etc). I wouldn't trust that stuff to my fish. If anything, pay someone to splash the water around :D

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Thanks for your input, thats actually very helpful.

But yeah, I know clearly that hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and o2, but too much of it clearly produces too much oxygen and kills fish - I wanna know if anyone can find out (I am an art major ;) ) how much is too much when producing oxygen where it will kill the fish.

Even altenate ways of oxygenating the tanks (such as simply splashing the water around) that I could suggest instead of something that may be very risky.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Chemicly it would work. Don't worry about the amount either. Water can only hold so much O2...about 5% or so max depending on tempriture...after that the rest just bleeds off into the atmo..My concern would be water movement. especially in a central filtration system. Distributing that O2 might be probmelatic.

Bag buddies...by the way use a very simmilar process to oxyinate the water. This is another option. Keep a bottle on hand for emergancies. The best bet on a central filtration system is a battery powered air pump (or several smaller ones) lines with air stones and gang valves.

Depending on the length of time the powers off you have differat problems to deal with. O2 is just one of them. If it's an extended time..all of the BB will die off and poisen the water...then when the powers restored the system will distributethis poisen to the tanks and kill most if not all of the fish so you need to pay close attention to the bio media.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Why not just have a UPS on the main system, it automatically shifts from line to batt. and back. $400 - $500 for protection is cheap especially on a corporate level.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Two words Joe.... PETS and MART.... lol

They would rather restock and start over than install a UPS..

Daeorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
NY
Actually, Wolf, thats not so true. I myself have been very surprised at what lengths they allow us to go to save fish and provide care and treatment to them.

I will actually be writing all of this up - including a generator idea to submit to corporate.

PS those two words are PET and SMART :) haha.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Can't say that I've seen them do anything deserving of the SMART lable. I've faught thier so called dog training for years...

Anyway if they want the safest way to go they need to set up a UPS. there are a lot of building code problems with running a generator inside a buissness...even one thats obviously not open.

MY last visit to our local PS was to pick up some grooming supplies and of course we checked the fish out...My wife and I found most of them gasping at the top of the tanks....the system was obviously down (red light). I asked the people on duty about it and they said ...yea...it's been down for a couple of days now...we called the main office and they are sending someone out...happens all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store