Do I have too much bio media?

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
So my XP3 came in like 2 days ago and the bio media is on it's way.
the thing is I'm going to have 4 baskets that I will be filling up with bio media, since i'm taking up the space for the bio-chem zorb.

so i have a eheim ehfilav, and a super porous ceramic media. and bio chem stars & azoo bio glass on it's way.
but i was kinda afraid that the bio media in the top baskets(the last stage) won't get any ammonia that it can feed on so it can grow beneficial bacteria..

if you don't get what i mean(i'm confusing)...since there's so much bio media underneath, i thought the top ones would get healthy ammonia free water and will never be able to grow beneficial bateria on themselves... which is gonna cause my tank to become cloudy forever..

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
When doing maintenance on the filter media, I wanted to just pull out the baskets and not have to carry the filter itself..
I was told that it was o.k. to leabe the water in the filter and just carry the baskets out.
BUT
what should I do after I return the baskets in?

Do I have to use the funnel to prime it again? or do I just press down the black lever and will the water go into the already-filled-filter and start running?

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
JEAE21;1233137; said:
So my XP3 came in like 2 days ago and the bio media is on it's way.
the thing is I'm going to have 4 baskets that I will be filling up with bio media, since i'm taking up the space for the bio-chem zorb.

so i have a eheim ehfilav, and a super porous ceramic media. and bio chem stars & azoo bio glass on it's way.
but i was kinda afraid that the bio media in the top baskets(the last stage) won't get any ammonia that it can feed on so it can grow beneficial bacteria..

if you don't get what i mean(i'm confusing)...since there's so much bio media underneath, i thought the top ones would get healthy ammonia free water and will never be able to grow beneficial bateria on themselves... which is gonna cause my tank to become cloudy forever..
You can't have too much bio media. The beneficial bacteria will balance itself to the amount of nitrogenous waste it can feed on.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
XP3s only have 3 baskets. Fill my bottom basket with Efimech or fluval prefilter, both are made to help keep your bio media from clogging. You will also want to use the foam sponges that came with the filter, those will take up a basket also.

My are set up like this;
bottom basket-efimech and 2 course sponges,
middle basket-2 medium sponges and bio media,
top basket-all bio media

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I noticed you have another thread about your XP3. Please feel free to ask multiple questions on the same topic in the same post so the forum doesn't get cluttered.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
While it is possible to have to much bio-media, it won't ever hurt anything, and will allow more space should you need it. The bacteria colony will grow to be large enough to handle your ammonia, but not too large to starve.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
JEAE21;1233151; said:
When doing maintenance on the filter media, I wanted to just pull out the baskets and not have to carry the filter itself..
I was told that it was o.k. to leabe the water in the filter and just carry the baskets out.
BUT
what should I do after I return the baskets in?

Do I have to use the funnel to prime it again? or do I just press down the black lever and will the water go into the already-filled-filter and start running?
you will find that it is easier to take the entire filter to the sink area to clean. You will end up with alot of sludge at the bottom if you don't clean the container regularly.

The filter will fill up with water as soon as you reinsert the hoses and lock them in. You did read the directions, right?

ewurm;1233169; said:
I noticed you have another thread about your XP3. Please feel free to ask multiple questions on the same topic in the same post so the forum doesn't get cluttered.
wurm...you are messing with my skull, by combining these posts:D

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
oh so Bderick67.......wait wait hold on..i'm talking about not taking the water out of the filter....so there's still water in the filter, when i pull the lever down, will the filter get primed? or do I have to do drain it?
since i'll do the filter maintenance like once a month but i'm planning to do media rinsing weekly so..

and o.k. ewurm..i just didn't know whether those 2 questions could be in 1 thread.

so are you guys telling me it's all right for me to have the amount i'm talking about?
oh bdreick67, i get 4 baskets since i'm not gonna use the top area for the chemical filtration.(get it?!)

so this is what it will be like but is it good?
from bottom..
the 4 pads, super porous ceramics, eheim efhilav, bioglass, then bio chem stars.

ecal468

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
South Florida
When you pull the lever, after you turn off the filter, the intake and output tube will both be stay filled with water. When you push it back down, and the filter is empty(w/o)water, they will prime it automatically. Do not turn it on until it fills completely.

It is still considered 3 baskets.

Good luck.

JEAE21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
CA
ecal468;1234832; said:
. When you push it back down, and the filter is empty(w/o)water, .
well i was asking if the filter was still filled with water; will it prime?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store