SH spawning?

_erik_

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2005
hell
I have three Channa gachua in a 58 gallon tank. The are abot 4-5 inches. Two of them never chase each other but the third gets beaten all the time by the other two... Why? Is the two that are sticking together maybe a pair? Anybody got any experience from breeding SHs?

/erik

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
Sounds plausable. If that is the case you will probably lose the third. Good luck with it, I am tring to do the same with my Channa Harcourtbutleri, although I am not sure I have a pair yet.

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Separate the one that is getting beat up. The female is bigger than the male. The male has brighter colors than the female. They are mouth brooders. Have lots of plants and caves. Leave the fry until they get bigger. Sometimes the female will eat the fry, and beat up the male.

7282005 028.jpg

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
Well, some breeders has said that water changes stimulates their fish into breeding mode. My setup is a 40 gallon, full of floating plants, and driftwood with caves. The substrate is not important, but there should be some because they "dig" under the driftwood to make a nest. Once the eggs are laid, the male takes them into his mouth. My filter system is just an undergravel, and air bubbles, not powerheads. I change water 50% ONCE A MONTH. yes, that's right. It seems the older the water is, they become more stimulated. If i change the water often, they don't do their mating dance that usually happens at the surface where the plants are. Sometimes, I don't even change the water. They have no other tanksmates, except the snails that came with the plants. I think if you just let it happen, they will breed. The female is about 9 nches, and the male is 6 inches. She shreds his fins, after the eggs are hatched. Hope it's not too confusing.

MarlboroMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
socal
i hear they dont like to be disturbed while breeding, my friend has bred gachuas once and everytime they hold eggs, they would eat it all, i think theyre scared and trying to protect the babies (by eating them).

jelly

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Herts, UK
www.Hoplias.webs.com
contender said:
Channa Harcourtbutleri , wold love to see some photos! care to share? cant evenfind any on the net!!!

sounds really cool though...

i feel like taking a trip to Myanmar just to get a pair ?!?!!?
I will get some pics up, They look like small Gachua. I think they were originaly thought of as a small varient of Gachua, surposed to be the most aggresive, Which I can validate. they seem completley intolarate of other SH looking fish.

I am tring to get a female Bleheri in the UK. If anyone knows of any please PM me. Would love to breed them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store