Help... fish looks like he has lint on him (parasites)

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
I just got home from picking up some Prazi-Pro to treat my 55g planted tank since a loach has the chronic wasting/skinny disease. (Couldn't find any levamisole.) I treated the tank and soon after noticed that another fish has some things hanging off him. Not ich, looks like he's got lint flecks. Pretty obvious external parasite. Looking very closely I can see that he is irritated/inflamed where they attach.

The Prazi made the water cloudy so the camera won't focus so I can't get a good picture. This is the best I could do.

(I could swear that before I treated it he was fine, but I didn't look at him closely, so I could be wrong. Unless it makes sense that putting the prazi in might've disturbed something dormant that got up and decided to latch on to him...)

Anyway, are these flukes? I've seen Potassium Permanganate recommended as the treatment for that. Would that be what I want to do? Do that in addition to the prazi? Is prazi at all useful for this stuff?

This guy is just a baby, recently picked up to replace the one I killed, so I worry about how long he can last with something like this. So far it hasn't affected his behavior. He's still mixing it up with his tiger barb friends.

Thanks...

DSCN1621.JPG

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
From the pic, I would say it is ich...the treatments sped up the cycle and he is now showing visual signs....Best I can guess...

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
It's definitely not ich. I know because he actually had ich at the store when we got him.

The water is cleared up now so maybe I can focus. Some of them have fallen off or gotten shorter, there are just remnants left basically. It's very clearly longer than ich if you look at it with your eyes and not my crappy photo.

Today he still is acting normal and happy. I'm really hoping that the prazi is taking care of it. Just wish I knew for sure what it was.

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
The prazzi may be clearing it up. It's really hard to tell exactly what it is from that pick. Based on your description, it probably is a parasite and the prazzi should clear it up.

DaveB

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Miami
Here are two updated photos. Still not the greatest detail but probably the best I can do with no photography skills and a crappy old digital camera. You can see the remnants. Previously they were longer and there were more. Now he still has a bit of white flecks but not nearly as much, and you can see a bit of irritation on his scales but not too much. This side in the pictures is the side that was worse too. There's only a tiny bit left on the other side, really only visible when you look at him from above.

In the first one you can see the loach with the wasting, which was the reason I put the Prazi in in the first place.

DSCN1625.JPG

DSCN1626.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store