Box of Americans from Don Conkels (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Open Water Predator;3605777; said:
Just curious, why is that a big assumption? Are you taking a shot at Don or what?
uncwnells;3605812; said:
I agree, why do you think that Don Conkels fish arent pure? My LFS only deals with Don and he actually sends him his known hybrids because he hates them that much. Anytime your dealing with large scale fish breeding and collection your bound to get some hybrids, but I have only seen beautiful fish from Don and have loved everyone.

I've heard good and I've heard bad about DC tropicals. I guess you could say I've heard more bad. I've never dealt with him myself, that I freely admit so I can only base my perceptions on the experiences of others that I've read about. But like I said, I've heard more bad that good and those stories are from people I hold in high regard.

:)

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
The fish are setteling in pretty good and have healthy apetites. I think I am able to identify most of them as they look just like many of the juvi pics I have seen online. Don added in quite a few extras as he told me he usually does, I also had a slight credit because the shipping quote was less than I pre-payed. I asked him to just pick some interesting fish out and send them with the order rather than return any money. I had ordered 38 fish, total shipped was 55. Don added in Labridens, Bartoni, and Altifrons.

I believe this is one of the Altifrons:

This one looks like Nourisatti

Carpintis

Pearsei

Nanoluteus

Argentea ? maybe...

Regani ?

Bifa ?

Here are a couple I'm not sure about.

A couple fish I noticed had some white spots so I pulled them and are treating. Hopefully it will not crop up in the main tank but these two were both in there over night so I don't know.

Godmani

maculacauda or synspilus maybe?

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Argentea ? maybe... yeah, argentea

Regani ? yep

Bifa ? def looks bifasc...or posibly zonatus but looks like there's a lot more yellow than a zonatus would have

Here are a couple I'm not sure about. honestly, this looks like a haitiensis

i'd say either a vieja/paratheraps or possibly the labridens. does it look like a strip of flesh is missing behind the pectoral fins? if so then labridens.

A couple fish I noticed had some white spots so I pulled them and are treating. Hopefully it will not crop up in the main tank but these two were both in there over night so I don't know.

maculacauda or synspilus maybe? of those 2 i'd definitely say maculicauda
[/QUOTE]

i've replied in red. awesome fish...hope they all turn out great. hopefully the white spots are ich and not lymph.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
Jason_S;3606970; said:
Argentea ? maybe...

Here are a couple I'm not sure about. honestly, this looks like a haitiensis

I was going to guess Lyonsi but body looks a little off.

Here is another I cant figure out.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
BadOscar;3607133; said:
Here is another I cant figure out.

probably one of the astatheros...possibly the rhytisma....unless he threw in some thorichthys too but it'd be missing the black eyespot on the gill..unless it's still kinda stress and the black eye spot is very faded. probably not though, most likely an astatheros.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
Yes I think you are right, Rhytisma, he was in that bag and I only ordered 1.

cchhcc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2006
Virginia Beach, VA USA
uncwnells;3605812; said:
I agree, why do you think that Don Conkels fish arent pure? My LFS only deals with Don and he actually sends him his known hybrids because he hates them that much. Anytime your dealing with large scale fish breeding and collection your bound to get some hybrids, but I have only seen beautiful fish from Don and have loved everyone.
DC and hybrid talk goes hand in hand.....and it is not unfounded. I agree he has some great fish, and I have some of them, but he has sold hybrids in the past as "new species," he considers pond raised fish as "wild," and and his ponds can get rogue fish in them at times. Right now he is labelling some of his fish as hybrids (that's a big step forward IMO). The Paratheraps and Viejas are the most likely to be hybridized, but he supplies so many people that it's tough to know just how much of that is Don and how much is further down the line.

Again, I have some of his fish and wouldn't hesitate to get more. Just use common sense with Don and any other vendor.

Open Water Predator

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Jason_S;3606236; said:
I've heard good and I've heard bad about DC tropicals. I guess you could say I've heard more bad. I've never dealt with him myself, that I freely admit so I can only base my perceptions on the experiences of others that I've read about. But like I said, I've heard more bad that good and those stories are from people I hold in high regard.

IMO, it is in poor taste to disseminate negative information about someone whom one has never personally dealt with directly. Let those who have share their own experiences. When second-hand information is perpetuated, it allows the possibility of disparity between perception and reality. The longer the perpetuation continues, the greater that disparity can become. For example, one person has a bad experience, 20 people read about it and spread it like gospel. That makes for quite a disparity between perception and reality. Then, perhaps years later, although whatever situation caused the original complaint may have been resolved, the misperception lives on.

In speaking with him, he told me that he did unknowingly sell a hybrid, thinking it was a new species. However, once he discovered it wasn't, he stopped selling it. He's certainly not the only person in the hobby that's had that happen to them. Now, his hybrids are listed as such on the stock list. I say let him be judged by the present and not the past. He's a very knowledgeable, experienced, and conscientious collector/imported/breeder. Don has always treated me well.

cchhcc;3607812; said:
...he supplies so many people that it's tough to know just how much of that is Don and how much is further down the line.
Agreed.

BadOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2009
Maine
Open Water Predator;3607866; said:
Don has always treated me well.
No complaints from me. Don treated me great and went out of his way to make me happy. He called me on the phone several times gave me his personal cell #. I could tell he was a very busy guy but he still took the time to help me out and get me these fish. And lets face it my order was retail and not that big compared to what he usually does. I was just blown away to have been treated so well.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
Open Water Predator;3607866; said:
IMO, it is in poor taste to disseminate negative information about someone whom one has never personally dealt with directly. Let those who have share their own experiences. When second-hand information is perpetuated, it allows the possibility of disparity between perception and reality. The longer the perpetuation continues, the greater that disparity can become. For example, one person has a bad experience, 20 people read about it and spread it like gospel. That makes for quite a disparity between perception and reality. Then, perhaps years later, although whatever situation caused the original complaint may have been resolved, the misperception lives on.

In speaking with him, he told me that he did unknowingly sell a hybrid, thinking it was a new species. However, once he discovered it wasn't, he stopped selling it. He's certainly not the only person in the hobby that's had that happen to them. Now, his hybrids are listed as such on the stock list. I say let him be judged by the present and not the past. He's a very knowledgeable, experienced, and conscientious collector/imported/breeder. Don has always treated me well.

Agreed.

1) i would never base my opinion on anything on the opinion or experience of just one person. I take my time to search for as many opinions and experiences as possible.

2) No negative information was at all spread until you started hounding me about a side comment I made in parenthesis in my original post. And for the record, ANY TIME vieja/paratheraps are involved or Amphilophus species and we're not talking about Rapps as the source, I will always include a disclaimer such as 'assuming they're pure' and in ANY case, imo, this is a big assumption.

3) So if I know of multiple (and by multiple I mean 20+) other people that I know and trust have had a bad experience with a particular vendor, and I see someone else about to order from that vendor, then I should say nothing? (incidentally, I never told anyone that DCT is bad or that they shouldn't order from him)

Everything that cchhcc said is a summation of multiple accounts of what I've heard from many, many people who have ordered from DCT. The only thing he left out was the dubious distinction that DCT fish have of coming with lymphocystis.

Now, if things have improved then that's great, but it'll take more than just one or 2 people reporting receiving great, disease-free fish and that hybrids arent' being passed off as new species any more. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store