The Woefully Underappreciated Sponge Filter

m1maniac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2010
uk
running all my tanks in my fishhouse on sponge/homemade biofilters cant go wrong
tanks
2x 2ft
2x2.5ft
6x3ft
1x4ft
3x5.6ft

all on 1 air pump save loads of wattage

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
m1maniac;4822406; said:
running all my tanks in my fishhouse on sponge/homemade biofilters cant go wrong
tanks
2x 2ft
2x2.5ft
6x3ft
1x4ft
3x5.6ft

all on 1 air pump save loads of wattage
Dang, you gotta post pictures of that on this thread!

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
I just bought my very first sponge filter :) This thread inspired me. It's going into the new shrimp tank I'm going to set up!

I am used to looking at $250 or more for canister filters. It sort of felt odd to pay $7 for a new filter lol.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
CLDarnell;4822432; said:
I just bought my very first sponge filter :) This thread inspired me. It's going into the new shrimp tank I'm going to set up!

I am used to looking at $250 or more for canister filters. It sort of felt odd to pay $7 for a new filter lol.
Odd, but oh so good? Like the first time you ever messed around with a chick?

gt1009

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Wilmington, NC
Random idea here, but I'm thinking now about putting a smaller sponge filter in my sump. Anyone else ever try this? You could get all the benefits of a sponge filter without the downside of having an unsightly sponge filter in the display. You could probably theoretically remove a wetdry chamber on the sump, and fill that space with sponge filters run off a single large air pump. As long as your sump doesn't have downwards water flow in the chamber you put the sponge in. In that case, you would probably have to use a small powerhead.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
gt1009;4822513; said:
Random idea here, but I'm thinking now about putting a smaller sponge filter in my sump. Anyone else ever try this? You could get all the benefits of a sponge filter without the downside of having an unsightly sponge filter in the display. You could probably theoretically remove a wetdry chamber on the sump, and fill that space with sponge filters run off a single large air pump. As long as your sump doesn't have downwards water flow in the chamber you put the sponge in. In that case, you would probably have to use a small powerhead.
Yes, this was discussed a bit earlier in this thread. Excellent idea to just throw a sponge in a submerged sump. Don't know if i'd replace anything though.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
aclockworkorange;4822493; said:
Odd, but oh so good? Like the first time you ever messed around with a chick?

Naww, the filter was way more expensive than that! :D

But yeah, I can get used to $7 filters pretty easily!

I already changed my mind. The sponge is going to go into my 10g fry tank and that HOB is going to go onto the shrimp tank. I won't have to worry about fry in the intake tube this way.

Thanks clockwork!

bassguy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2010
Limbo
i run them im my sumps and all my breaders. THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

TimTheBadass

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2007
Wales, UK
A friend of mine had a fish house and she used to run a huge pond air pump attached the a pvc pipe that ran all the way round the fish house. She then had air lines exiting this pipe along it's length that would run sponge filters in many of her tanks.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
That is exactly how my old work at a wholesaler with hundreds of tanks was set up. The PVC ran down the length of the ceiling above the stacked tanks facing back to back and airlines running into them individually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store