Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
all these good actors are dying, its terrible.

HOLY COW those leaves are HUGE!!!!!! Very nice, Im jelly!

cpm6t

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2011
Sri Lanka
My plant only filteration system for 300g outdoor tank. I see new leaves coming up almost daily and they are huge. The sump (on the right hand corner) is full of plants too.
WP_20140220_001[1].jpg

WP_20140220_001[1].jpg

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
been goin thru this stickie, very interesting!!!

thought mayb some of u experts/experienced could shed some light on some doubts i have.

i have a 6'2'2' tank that is home to a couple of 1' ornate bichirs, a pair of 5"-6" Leos, a couple of severums & an FRT; soon to join them would be a Super or Chili Red Aro.

i run an FX6 & the water parameters are perfect with 25-30% WC every week... i opted for the canister over the sump coz the tank is in the main living room right next to the seating area & the overflow sound would be quite irritating/distracting!!!

I'm thinking of adding a pothos to the tank for aesthetic reason, indoor environment reasons & to inhibit nitrate buildup. since i dont have a BG to push the roots behind, would it be fine if i just bundled up the roots onto a filter pad & secured it to either of the back corners???

or instead of just immersing the root bunch under the water surface, would it b fine if I dunked the stem portion just above the root of the plant to secure the roots to a piece of bogwood at the bottom of the tank (would it drown...hehehe)???

are there any other things specific i need to take into consideration???

cheers

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Pothos you can submerge the entire thing except the leaves. If you wanted you could find a long enough vine, pluck the leaves off under the water and the vine above water will keep going. I dont know if your fish eat the roots so you would have to watch out for that, I know the plant is toxic to cats, but Iv never heard of a fish dying from the roots. In the 75gal I have the pothos just sitting in the water, bluegill and pleco seem to ignore it

allathlete5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2014
Southern California
I plan on setting up a nitrate trickle trough on top of my 100 gallon malawi cichlid tank and am going to be putting a pothos in it... My question is a little off topic but do you think I'd also be able to put one or two pepper plants (probably jalapeno) in the planters box and grow them? I think it might be pretty cool!

SickSauce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2011
Mekong Delta
any cheap Depot light fixtures you guys recommend that would Grow Pothos and sufficient to light my tank[180g] too? Something like a Hang from ceiling type fixture

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store