Vendor questions

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I myself have ordered from him (recent) and I live near the tampa area. His stock is good. I have received the $21 shipping fee via FedEx for being a fellow Floridian. . Not sure for ur experience with snookn. Maybe the shipping is an issue. Maybe the stock died. I bought from him and had to cancel cause the fish got Ick. But then was able to get some again. Just wanted to share my experience. Good luck with getting some nice plecos.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I haven't ordered from him but he seems to no longer be a vendor here and I was wondering about that.
Search him on aquabid Krich. Just type in snookn21. Ive worked with John for years. I always find what I want add it up and a little extra for shipping....pay via paypal then send him an email with what I paid for. Works for me. John always works with you...you just gotta know what you want and what and how to do math and have basic knowledge of paypal. Simple.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Search him on aquabid Krich. Just type in snookn21. Ive worked with John for years. I always find what I want add it up and a little extra for shipping....pay via paypal then send him an email with what I paid for. Works for me. John always works with you...you just gotta know what you want and what and how to do math and have basic knowledge of paypal. Simple.
Clearly not that easy. The email I posted was copied from my inbox. All I was trying to do was give him money for fish. Somehow me giving him my zipcode for a shipping price is to complicated for him. The guy who has a business SHIPPING fish lacks the ability to look up zipcodes. But I will gladly pay more for fish from someone that responds to emails and has a positive attitude towards customers.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Clearly not that easy. The email I posted was copied from my inbox. All I was trying to do was give him money for fish. Somehow me giving him my zipcode for a shipping price is to complicated for him. The guy who has a business SHIPPING fish lacks the ability to look up zipcodes. But I will gladly pay more for fish from someone that responds to emails and has a positive attitude towards customers.

I feel that is quite easy if one has an elementary school education or higher. Basic math and how to work a computer.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I feel that is quite easy if one has an elementary school education or higher. Basic math and how to work a computer.

So when you go to the grocery store, do you just add up a ballpark and hand the cashier a wad of money? Or does she give you a total and you pay based off that? You can defend John all you want but to call this business practice normal is insane. This is the normal business transaction.

Buyer: I would like some of your product, here is what I am interested and here is my physical address.

Seller: Thanks for your interest. Your product is $XXX and shipping is $XXX

Buyer: Ok here is my billing info

Seller: Thank you here is your receipt.

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
We're in a different shipping zone than the rest of Florida (I'm further west than you, in Pensacola). He used to be able to get through with the cheaper over night fedex fee, but my guess is a few orders through panhandle customers proved problematic. I too used to get the cheap florida shipping charge, but the last 2 orders i made through him were full priced. Again, my guess is a few shipments might have not made it to the destination in the panhandle as promised, and fedex stuck it to snookn as it never 'guaranteed' arrival within that time frame for that shipping zone.

This is just the logical assumption I came to when I saw the full price shipping charge on my 2 invoices.

Doesn't bother me though, for the most part I still get quality stock from him (my red head taps and alot of plecos) save for the one L14 I am currently trying to figure out with the sunken belly.
I'm in the same boat as you. 2/3 L14 I got from John has sunken in belly, but they are eating ferociously. I'm deworming with PraziPro then some metro. Still good plecos though, would still order from John any day. To OP, John gets back to me in the same day or next day latest. Always a smooth transaction with John.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Always had great service from John. Even gave me extra fish for free.

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
I have bought most of my pleco's from John and they do come in good health minus a single DOA on the last order which I got credit for and used on my following order from him. Fish were packed good and shipping price is the best I have had to pay from any vendor on the east coast also his pricing is cheaper then other vendors who have the same stock or smaller stock. I will say that getting a response from him is hit and miss. At times he responds same day other times it takes a 2-3 and on one occasion over a week. I just keep emailing him. I'd rather pay the lower prices for stock I know I'm gonna be happy with even if I got to send a few more emails.

As for the OP's situation I would be frustrated by that and I have had other vendors make mistakes like that and they end up taking the hit since it was there fault for the error. I wouldn't let that stop from ordering from him though. Just keep in mind say you wanna buy a L25 and want a 7 Pointer John has some 10-11" ones which are for $275 where other vendors are asking for $400+ even with his smaller pleco's it's may cost $90 for 3 from John or $120-150 from another vendor. Just saying it's gonna cost you way more in the long run if you like to order allot from vendors.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
My only issue was how the situation was addressed. I emailed him and said how much for "x" fish shipped to "x" zipcode. He gave me a price. Then a couple hours later sent me an email saying that the shipping is now $17 more and that I should have just simply told him I lived in the panhandle. And that he doesn't have a way to look up zipcodes. If he would have said hey man I made a mistake, shipping is a little bit more, sorry for any inconvenience it would be understandable. I was literally ready to send him money for his product and he felt the desire to complicate the process by spinning the semantic details and blaming me. And once again I have ordered from him multiple times (back when it was John jr I believe) and have never had an issue. His fish, shipping and customer service were always great. However I don't spend my hard earned money on any product from a business who acts like I'm a nuisance to them.

There is a silver lining though. This experience pushed me in the direction of a MFK vendor and I have since made a huge order from said vendor that will be here Saturday. This vendor had/has amazing customer service, And I that is all I ask for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store