Bungsamlan Thailand, worlds greatest fishing venue?

orothinius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thailand
Hi guys, I live in Thailand and im a keen angler, if any of u ever get to visit the land of smiles and plan to do some fishing dont get out of bangkok before u have fished in bungsamlan fishingpark. its a huge lake that is stocked to the limit with Giant mekong catfish the biggest on record beeing 140kg, an arapaima that is said to be 220kg, ive seen it gulp for air and its insane! U can rent a rod there mostly shimano baitrunners and a guide who will help u prepare the bait wich when first seeing might make u wonder.

what they do is mix a large barrel of "ram" wich is a rice husk with coconut milk, and water, they make there into orange sized balls with a 5cm leader with a bare hook hanging of the end of it, nothing goes on the hook wich seemed strange to me at first, but what happens is that the ball starts to disolve in a cloud of particles that the catfish suck in and with some luck they suck in your hook and ur off for a 20 min (15kg) to 1 hour for the big boys of fishing pleasure with the burning sun on your face!

here are some pictures of the fish ive caught there the biggest beeing my personal record of 65kg , on average u will catch a minimum of 3 fish over 20 kg, and every so often once u have mastered the skills of preparing your bait to the right consistancy and then learning to trow it as far as u can without it breaking and covering your whole body in sticky rice flower acompanied by the feeling of beeing a complete NOOB, u will be able to target the bigger boys.

They fight like a train and because there are bungalows going 4 meters into the lake on wood poles, its quite technical to catch them without them braiding your line trough 3 bungalows and snapping you off! There for id suggest taking a guide the first time u come to fish here. Also ask them wich bungalow is "hot for fish"" that week, its no guarantee but it might give u an edge.

They also have the worlds biggest Asian Giant carp in this lake, its a great fish to catch but requires alot of patience and proberbly a minimum of 2 days selectivly targeting this species

I wana apologize in advance for any spelling mistakes, English isnt my first language.
IMG-20140314-WA0002.jpg20131224_123109 - Copy.jpg20131224_123114.jpg20131224_100355.jpgView attachment 1034152View attachment 1034153

IMG-20140314-WA0002.jpg

20131224_123109 - Copy.jpg

20131224_123114.jpg

20131224_100355.jpg

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
I'm friends on FB with I think the owner of this lake and I've seen some monster fish caught there, including the Pima which is the WR for that lake but not verified because it wasn't weighed in, I've seen that huge carp caught as well.

Here is the FB page https://www.facebook.com/benchawan.thiansungnoen

orothinius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2014
Thailand
thanks il check that FB page out, That arapaima is HUGE!

what dont u get newworld? In Thailand the mekong catfish is almost completely fished out of the rivers it would take u weeks of nonstop fishing to catch 1 and that 1 prob wont be so big.
I fish in the rivers and lakes in my area for snakehead and giant snakhead, but even then your competing with the locals who trow there nets all day. This is a viable solution for some1 who doesnt have weeks or even days of time but wants to enjoy batteling large mekongs or carp.
Same goes for the arapaima or "killerfish"" in IT lake , if u want to catch a gar, an arapaima, and a load of huge redtails ur need to visit the US and the Amazon. instead i catch them all in the same lake, because i aint got the money or time to fly to the us and the amazon :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store