New monsters ordered - Umbees.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Looking good, congrats!
Thank you. They are swimming around checking everything out. It's been a while since I have seen fish this little swimming around in one of my tanks.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
So, any guesses on how long until they reach 6", 12", etc?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So, any guesses on how long until they reach 6", 12", etc?
Bout a year until 6-10 inches maybe it all depends on genes and weather or not parents were wild caught or what size parents were. there are so many factors. all of mine are about 1 inch or more but they were small as a grain of rice a couple months ago just to give you an idea on growth

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Bout a year until 6-10 inches maybe it all depends on genes and weather or not parents were wild caught or what size parents were. there are so many factors. all of mine are about 1 inch or more but they were small as a grain of rice a couple months ago just to give you an idea on growth

Thanks. From what I've read they grow faster than dovii and they aren't nearly as shy when smaller. I hope that is true.

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
I have had both ends of the spectrum in terms of personality. I have had a 3 inch glass banger and un shy laid back umbees. But I would say they are alot more personable then any other fish I have kept. I keep 4 pairs currently love them all matter of fact I will be re homing my remaining non umbee fish shortly to make room for my growouts.

Drew

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto

It all begins with genetics then ends with who's actually caring for it. It has nothing to do with parents being wild caught. So growth really depends on you.. Feeding schedule, water chafes etc. also from my expirience, umbees and dovii are very similar in growth rates.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Thanks. From what I've read they grow faster than dovii and they aren't nearly as shy when smaller. I hope that is true.
Mine aren't shy at all they already head shake and flare up and when I come to the tank they wait to be fed. When I had dovii they were much more shy and picky

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
I just went in and checked on the little guys and gals. They are still pretty shy but of course they have only been in the tank one day. They aren't eating yet either. Hopefully they will be eating by tomorrow. The people where I purchased them were nice enough to include a sample of what they have been eating to make it an easier transition for them.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Sorry for your loss he was a stunner....but good pick ups.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
Sorry for your loss he was a stunner....but good pick ups.
Thank you.

I just dropped some Ken's Cichlid flake into the tank and some of them nibbled in that a little. So, that is good news. It's nice to see them starting to eat. They still hide when I approach the tank but that is expected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store