My New Monster-To-Be

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Update

Saw his entire body a few minutes ago and Sarge is now around 8" making him my biggest fish again (was tied with my white sucker for a while). Getting bigger and filthier by the day :D.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Update:

Last night was the first time he's been out to eat! The lights in the tank were off for half an hour before hand but I'll take what I can get :). He was clear on the other side of the tank with his head poking out of a large plastic plant and would come out on top of the driftwood to take shrimp pellets from my hand. Measured him against the glass and is definitely 8".

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well it's no coincidence I guess. He came out to feed again tonight. This time in front of his cave during lights ON! He now comes all the way out for food if I lure him out and while he still goes back to his cave between pellets, he's coming all the way to which is awesome.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not much to update right now. He's still roughly 8" and normally comes out to eat every night (all though he hides on how cave in between pellets) as long as I dangle food in front of his face. Still no signs of surface feeding though which is weird since my three 2.5" yellow bullheads I've had for less time than sarge roam during the day and surface feed every night.
View attachment 1045396

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Update: sarge is now sitting at 8.5" and his growth seems to have slowed down a lot, probably because he's already above average size for yellow bullheads for the area that I collected him at, still hoping he gets 10-12" though and prepared to have a party if he hits 14". Speaking of growth, he's put on much girth and as such has outgrown the castle I built him. So instead, I now build him a palace yet he hides in the plant behind it instead :ROFL:.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
He's a beast! ;) he seems to be growing at exactly the same pace as my brown which is cool, hope they both reach that magical 1' :D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
He's a beast! ;) he seems to be growing at exactly the same pace as my brown which is cool, hope they both reach that magical 1' :D
Thanks! Hope your brown hits that size as well! Kind of derailing my own thread with this question but ehh, any pictures of yours?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's in my pond and very shy, so you might have to wait till I clean it out a Bit in April, unless I can get a pic before that on a sunny day

Does yours also have huge barbels? I always thought that on bullheads they were shorter and more plentiful, but they are really Iong on Mine.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's in my pond and very shy, so you might have to wait till I clean it out a Bit in April, unless I can get a pic before that on a sunny day

Does yours also have huge barbels? I always thought that on bullheads they were shorter and more plentiful, but they are really Iong on Mine.
I wouldn't call them huge, but they're bigger than say a Doradid's.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Awesome fish mate! I remember when I lived in north Australia and 80-90% of my fish were wild caught on hook and line, ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store