L24 for 2 toxote blythii worth it?

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
Got a 3" L24 red fin cactus pleco. Considering on trading him for 2 Toxote blythii archer fish.. Is this an even trade?

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
depending on quality of both the L24 and the archer fish. Two complete different fish with two different markets. But if the archers have good patter and are in good health, and your L24 is not a 7pointer, then yes, its a good trade.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
Thanks mrtoofay. The L24 is not a 7 pointer. Just a regular red fin. I noticed his other fins are slightly gettting coloration???? I thought 7 pointers initially have colors from 1"+?

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
Grooming will improve coloration, but only slightly. Only way to match naturally occuring coloration like 7 pointer from a inferior fish, is to feed/inject hormones, which will actually make the fish look worse in the long run.

I had a 5~6" natural 7 pointer L24 that a fellow member took from me! Still regretting it.. hope he'll post an update picture sometimes.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
Ok so the prospective trader is telling me that his archers only grew 1 - 1.5 inch within the last year. I cant find anything about archers online. Do they really only grow an inch per year like some pseudas??

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
Hmmm I always thought only L25's were known for the 7 points. Wasn't aware L24's are like that as well.

selki I looked at a forum on PFK (Predatory Fish Keepers) and the person got one at 3" in January 2011 and in June 2012 said they were about 3.5" so I would assume they are slow growers. Also I believe these are best in bigger groups due to aggression. Oh and there is a site online that has them for sale. IMO I wouldn't trade the L24 for them I don't think there worth it unless there bigger specimens. Awesome looking Archers which I wanted to buy before I got into my Pseuda's but yea lol.

selki

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Hawaii
Haha I agree. Pseudas are way too nice... but ever since I moved to an apt. from a large house I'm only allowed to have one tank. Due to the restriction on amount of tanks I have no idea how I'll be able to disperse aggression between my cactus plecos. The L24 and L25 killed my baby L25... And I see the L24 pick on the larger L25 which is odd in my eyes. I no longer want to mix pseudas because of the loss recently. Also, my tank is only a 40b T_T until the pleco grows large enough to upgrade.

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
Oh ok I hear ya on that one. I was thinking of putting all my Pseuda's in the same tank at one point but with there being various sizes I have begin thinking giving them there own smaller tanks would be best rather then risk injuries and death from them being together in a bigger tank. Specially with there price tags.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store