How to calculate the right safety factor with tempered glass?

mole

Feeder Fish
Sep 1, 2014
Norway
Hello.
I am new here and my english is not so good.

I`am gonna build a new tank, and I want it about 1 meter high. But I can`t find a calculator to find the right safety factor with tempered glass. I have looked at this site:http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium, but it`s only with normal glass. I have 19mm tepered glass that I want to use, so please help me to find out the safety factor.

Mole

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Here is the article written by the guy who did the calculations that the calculator you linked to [and many others] work off; http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=1732

Toughened glass is considerably stronger than standard glass. It cannot however be cut. If toughened glass is to be used it must first be cut to size, have its edges finished and then be send away for toughening. The thermal resistance properties of glass are also improved by toughening. Standard 6mm glass will rupture if plunged into water at 21°C if the temperature of the glass is more than 55°C hotter or colder. Toughened glass will rupture at approximately 250°C difference. Toughened glass also has a tensile strength greater than 5 times that of standard glass. Standard glass has a very important advantage when used on aquariums. It tends to fail in a non-spectacular manner, – typically a vertical or diagonal crack. Toughened glass however will fail completely, much like the old style car windscreen (100% shattering).
In other words, it would have to be a very large (tall, at least) aquarium to exceed the limits of toughened 19mm glass!

ps. your English seems fine to me, better than many of the native speakers in my country even....

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
most companies make 48" tall aquariums (more than a meter) out of 0.75 (almost exactly 19mm) NON tempered glass and its plenty safe. Really you don't need to temper it, but if you do it'll be plenty plenty strong.

Just remember once tempered you can't drill or add holes. And it likely won't break, but if it does it won't chip, it'll explode.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store