new to dats, looking for help in the selection process

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
He's been in brackish since I got him 5 years ago. He was about 2" and the cats (now almost a foot) were about 3". The two small ones that I have are in the same tank but separated by egg carton.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
My thoughts exactly.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wow,you don't pre mix the salt in a little water....just pour it in huh?

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Thanks for all the advice guys! So dats tend to hide out a fair amount? Ibwas hoping that they would be the "swimmers" in my tank. Regardless, I am going to give them a shot. I am either buying 5, 3" indos, or 1 7" ngt. Any advice there? Pros/cons?

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Ngt seem to be more aggresive than other dats. But i think that the bigger the dat the less aggresive towards tankmates. Maybe they are like grumpy children till they hit adulthood around the 10-12" mark. They also seem to be more tolerant of other dats at larger sizes.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
Have always heard they could take a lot of salt like that...just there isn't a lot of dat keepers who do it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
My thoughts exactly.
I have heard a person in my area have a NTT in full salt, but I haven't seen it yet. He used to buy baby NTT and acclimated them to his marine tank, and 5 out of 10 would end up dead and the rest will thrive.

Thanks for all the advice guys! So dats tend to hide out a fair amount? Ibwas hoping that they would be the "swimmers" in my tank. Regardless, I am going to give them a shot. I am either buying 5, 3" indos, or 1 7" ngt. Any advice there? Pros/cons?
3" is too small to be hanging around with large polypterus...

The 9.5" Lapradei will probably maul the 3" datnoids.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
When I was researching fish for my brackish set up initially, Dat came up. I've kept dats, scats, monos, archers and cats together for years but transitioning to a 250g FW. I think only the Dats will make the move. Still looking for homes for the scats, monos and cats.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store