Epsom vs aquarium salt

TimnKasey

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
Norman, OK
So could I use the epsom salt in my tank as a general preventative treatment?
I have a pleco that got into it with my JD and has a sore by his mouth now :/ seems to be healing just fine, but ya know..
And how much would I use for my 120gal tank?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I only use it in the water to help purge constipated fishes that may have bloat or to purge them before transport. I use it as a pellet soak and feed all new fishes to prevent hexamita and as a treatment when hexamita is suspected.

I don't think I'd just use it in general without a specific reason.

I don't think it's the best option for open sores. Maybe an inflamed pustule to promote drainage, or for swollen eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I keep a tire track eel and a fire eel in my brackish water tank with no ill effect even dump it right into tank and lands right on them.I use marine salt to keep PH up

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
even dump it right into tank and lands right on them
Dumping sodium chloride directly on to a fish is not a good idea. To prevent direct contact between fish and salt it's always best to premix with some water, and slowly add over a period of time.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
like I said I have been doing this for years I add one cup of salt a day. I have an automatic drip system and want to keep the salinity constant.I have never seen my fish show any sign of stress.My tank is 400 gallons so the salt disperses pretty fast.Also add Seachem safe every day to remove chloramines. also in powder form. I know they recommend dissolving first,but I add enough for hole tank.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I don't care if you've been doing it for 100 yrs, salt is corrosive so clearly dumping somethng corrosive onto your fish is not going to be a good idea. Think about it.

Adding a cup directly into a 400 gallon system, not a big deal. Adding a cup of salt so that it lands directly on the fish, bad idea.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
What fish are you keeping, that you add a cup of salt a day?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Mono Sabie,green scats,silver scats,ruby scat,regular mono I am looking to get African tiger scats and green chromide.I keep other fish that aren't brackish,the water is not full brackish PH is 8.00 and salinity is 1.oo4 and 1.oo8 the hydrometer is on 10 I add salt every day because of the automatic drip system changes about 200 gallons a day.if it was so corrosive to my fish they would scatter to the other side of the tank not swim into it like they do.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
another use for Epsom salt is to boost the Magnesium levels in a reef tank. it's one of the "big 3" that need to be in balance for proper reef chemistry.
you can also use it as a laxative for your self!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store