Siamese Algae Eaters fighting

Mike Leonard

Feeder Fish
Jan 3, 2014
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
I have had a couple of true Siamese Algae Eaters for a few years. They are around 5 inches long and never had problems with each other before. I noticed that they have started to stop swimming everywhere recently, and that one appears to be hiding. I placed some blood worms in the tank and the one that was trying to hide came out and the two fish had a stand off. They both instantly lost their black stripes before engaging in a dance that seemed like a contest to roll each other over. After this skirmish there was a clear winner that colored up brilliantly within 30 seconds of the fight, while the other one went back to hiding and regaining its stripe after about ten minutes.
I want to separate them into different tanks but the only other suitable tank that I have is full of Bristle Nose Pleco babies with sizes up to around one inch. I have heard that Siamese Algae Eaters when they get older can lose their appetite for algae and can eat fry. Does anybody else have mature siamese algae eaters together with Pleco babies?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store