Cichlid ID help

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Hello,
I found this one in the Petco Adoption tank. I picked it up but I can't figure out the type. Can anyone please help me out with id and gender if possible so that I can give it the best living conditions?
I apologize if this is wrong forum
Thank youuploadfromtaptalk1406771310491.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406771346155.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406771310491.jpguploadfromtaptalk1406771346155.jpg

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
If no one is able to give a particular type this one is would you be able to le me know what region of Africa this fish would originate so I can narrow down my research and if I am in the wrong forum to ask in the correct place?

Thanks again

grail63

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Arizona
it appears to be a Malawi mbuna of some sort other than that I really can't offer more as I don't know mbuna's very well. Chances are the it could be a hybrid as most big box stores sell hybrids and are not concerned about the purity of their fish. Also I would be concerned about the water quality in your tank as it looks extremely cloudy from those pictures.

midnight_games

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2012
Albany, GA
Could be a Yellow Lab or a stressed out Bumblebee (I can kinda see faded stress bars), or it could be a hybrid...

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks for the info. They couldn't give me any at the store, and it was brought in as adopted so no one is really sure where it all came from.

In regards to the cloudy water, I've been keeping an eye on it, but it is more of an algae problem as I have a whitish/clear algae on the sides of my tank. Unfortunately where my tank is located I've been getting a lot more direct sunlight on my tank so even with leaving the lights off longer I've been having issues with that algae. Besides that there have been no issues with the parameters themselves (ammonia, nitrate, etc) and everyone is eating and happy, so there's been no negative impact from the algae besides aesthetics.

Thanks again. Hopefully when it is settled I can get a better picture if the bars start to stand out more.

RangerBlue381

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
New Jersey
Just saw a pic of a male kenyi...i'd say that's it. Even the color around the eyes matches the pics I saw. Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store