Project 365 is a go!

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
After being with out fish thus far for pretty much the entirety of 2014, I'm about to jump back in!

Now that I'm settled in the new house, I finally convinced the Boss Lady to let me set up one of my tanks. At first, she wanted me to put my 150 back up, but I manages to convince her otherwise. ;)

When I started my terminal leave from the Army in December, I had the privilege of driving right past the house of Phil, known to the forums as Oddball. I got to visit with him and his lovely wife Beverly, and they graciously stuffed me full of spaghetti for the second half of my odyssey from Missouri to Florida.

Of more important consideration to this thread is the fact that Phil sold me one of his unused 365 gallon tanks with dimensions of 36*36*65.

This is the tank that I convinced the Boss Lady to allow me to put up.

I will document my endeavors in this thread!

Thus far, the tank needs the following:

- A stand.

- A hood.

- A good buffing.

- Possible reseals as I wasn't exactly gentle while manhandling it by my self.

- Bulkhead holes on the bottom sealed and new ones drilled and installed.

- Overflows installed.​

Wow, that actually looks like quite a bit when I write it all out! Fortunately none of it is very expensive and can all be done by a competent DIYer.

For the time being I think that my 510 diy is going to have to stay on the back burner. I don't have anywhere to put it.

Pics soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cool,congrats on the pick up and getting back in the water.What will you be keeping in that bad boy?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
All I have ironed out for good is a blue cat. I've been saying for a while that I'd like to revisit furcatus and I feel like this is the ideal opportunity.

I'm not sure what direction to go after that. I considered natives, but I've already gone that path and I want to try something new.

Considering that blues are very unusual in their activity level for a big cat, I'm considering adding a couple more big cats to the mix. My wife REALLY wants an RTC but I'm not too sure about that one.

I think the blue plus a couple of medium sized, sedentery cats might be nice.

We'll have to see though. Other than the blue, I'm really not sure what I want to do with it lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
HAHAHAH! To be fair, that was an easy mistake for him to make.

Glad to have you back Rob, and I can't wait to watch this progress.

I can't help but wonder, with such a tall tank, won't a good amount of the space remain unoccupied when most of the residents are catfish?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
HAHAHAH! To be fair, that was an easy mistake for him to make.
Yeah I suppose it is lol

Glad to have you back Rob, and I can't wait to watch this progress.

I can't help but wonder, with such a tall tank, won't a good amount of the space remain unoccupied when most of the residents are catfish?
Iunno. I know from past experience that the blue will use every inch of it, but beyond that....

It's still all up in there air I guess. I'm open to ideas...

EDIT- Here's the 365 in the back corner of my shed, stuffed full of baby clothes. :/

20140915_205432.jpg

20140915_205432.jpg

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Well, got a little bit done today!

Unfortunately, I discovered that I probably still have quite a bit to do...

The first step to getting this tank set up was to remove all of the baby clothes from it. It felt good to transform my tank from a baby clothes closet back into a crated tank!

1.jpg

Into the garage, ready for unboxing...

2.jpg

Done!

3.jpg

Oh lord, this thing's really gonna need a good cleaning and buffing. :( Does anyone have some suggestions for me in that regard? This is my first acrylic tank.

The bulkheads are also placed rather unusually. I'm going to need to move at least one so that both the overflow and return are on the same side. I'm planning on running an FX5 and my Wlim Bioglass 16 on this tank, so I may end up having two bulkheads for each return and overflow. Thoughts on that? Not quite sure if I want to have Ys before and after the bulkhead or just have two bulkheads.

4.jpg

After I have the bulkheads ironed out, I'm going to do a test fill in the garage to make sure that it doesn't have any leaks. I will need to reattach the top because part of it has come loose. I'm not really sure how I feel about welding the acrylic; I'm gonna have to read up on how to do that! lol

5.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I buffed moooooooooost of the scratches out of my craigslist-acquired 240 with a Meguiars dual-action polisher. Much easier than doing it by hand, but certainly not the same results one would get with a true wet-sanding. I actually used a few car polishes before I bought the 3 stage kit everyone here recommends. By the time the acryilic showed up, the car polish had done most of the work. I've seen people use buffers attached to hand drills as well, but I bought the buffer so I might as well use it as often as I can.

Not sure how OCD you're feeling, but if I would do the test fill; note the worst areas, and then just pay special attention to those when buffing.

In regards to welding acrylic, I know everyone says its easy, but I've never done it. I did run a line of acrylic weld around the inside of all my seams for added peace of mind.

Good luck buddy. When it's up and running, I would offer to send Baki over for you to baby-sit...... and pellet train..... but I've learned never to trust a catfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store