Would like to start a SA/CA Cichlid set up!!!!! Help?

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
No idea about the geo. Red Severum is a beautiful fish that is peaceful but also won't take any crap. You wouldn't be disappointed!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Heckelii threadfins are more acara-like than geo-like. Both heckelii and sevs reach 10-12" and are peaceful. Conspecifics are higher with the heckelii, but not terrible. A normal JD will likely run the tank regardless of which species you choose. Combine that with the similar temperament between both species and you end up with a situation where you can just choose whichever one you like best.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What do you mean by selection similar temperaments between the species? Can you provide an example?

FishRetard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2014
Canada
What do you mean by selection similar temperaments between the species? Can you provide an example?
I think what is meant is that they both have the same type of aggression, attitude, and basically are like one another. You're getting the same temperment with each fish so it's just a personal choice of which one you want to choose

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
What is your current stock again?

2 jacks 4 gouramis 2 gold algae eaters, 2 rainbow sharks, 1 crayfish. The plan is to move the gourami's out once I figure out my ideal stock. One jack is 4 inches and the other is like 3. Also Ideally I want to get a 125G or bigger tank once my lease ends in my current apartment and I move into the new one.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
2 jacks 4 gouramis 2 gold algae eaters, 2 rainbow sharks, 1 crayfish. The plan is to move the gourami's out once I figure out my ideal stock. One jack is 4 inches and the other is like 3. Also Ideally I want to get a 125G or bigger tank once my lease ends in my current apartment and I move into the new one.
So long as the upgrade is a definite thing, you should be able to add both. They are slightly slower growers than the jacks though, so it would be best to get some that are 5-6" each because the jacks will likely end up being more aggressive. If you get smaller ones, grow them out in their own tank until they are at least 1-2" from the size of the jacks.

PanAntV

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
North Carolina
So long as the upgrade is a definite thing, you should be able to add both. They are slightly slower growers than the jacks though, so it would be best to get some that are 5-6" each because the jacks will likely end up being more aggressive. If you get smaller ones, grow them out in their own tank until they are at least 1-2" from the size of the jacks.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store