Nitrate ?

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
No. You will be cycled when you read 0am 0 nit and some nitrates (can differ) and yea dont replace your filter immediately and if you can put a seperate filter in before removing the first one. I made that mistake and my nitrites spiked... fortunately for me my ammonia stayed 0

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
lol I went through this crap for like 3+ weeks screw this man... how many fish do you have in there as an ammonia source ? how long ago did you start cycling ?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
8-12 mollies, a few tetras, a pleco. about 2 weeks. pulled out about 4 fish due to death. added prime stability yesterday and again today......

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I am running 2 405's. I took one off and put it in my established 55 gal tank, is this a good or bad idea? I was gonna leave it for a day or two and then switch it back to the 135 and do the same with the other 405.....

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I am running 2 405's. I took one off and put it in my established 55 gal tank, is this a good or bad idea? I was gonna leave it for a day or two and then switch it back to the 135 and do the same with the other 405.....
Thats exactly what I do to cycle new filters I get. I just leave it running on a cycled tank for about a week or so and a colony of bb will colonize it but it'll be a weak colony so some extra time is needed for it to mature. (about another week with a good source of ammonia)

Your cycle reminds me of mine. It totally skipped the nitrite as you mentioned and went from ammonia reading straight to nitrate. From when I got my first reading of nitrate it was about 3-4 days to convert 1ppm of ammonia within 24 hours. But leaving a filter on a cycled tank for about a week will always cycle it but it wont be strong enough for moderate stocking just yet.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
So far im not really impressed with stability. Before I started using it I had nitrates I figured this would really speed things up. Its been 4 days and my readings today were ammonia almost 0 maybe .05 or 10. Nitrite maybe a little over 1 and nitrate 20.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't think Stability speeds up the cycle. I think it just renders Ammonia non-toxic to fish. Helps keep your fish from dying while the BB colony catches up. Personally, if it was me, I'd call it done. You get close to 0 ammonia, and 0 Nitrite, and you're measuring some Nitrates. That means you have bacteria turning Nitrite to Nitrate, since you were getting Nitrite readings previously. Just add fish slowly, make sure you use Prime when do a Water Change if you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap water. I have 2 tanks cycled for close to a year now, they never read exactly 0 Ammonia, they always read 0 Nitrite, and they always read at least 5-10 ppm Nitrate--and as high as 60-80 ppm Nitrate sometimes. I think you're good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store