GT and Oscar

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Didn't read the part about it being a corner tank. I think your idea of one in each is the best bet. You can always try a smaller tankmate.
Yeah, I have an aequidens metae (yellow acara) that I may try with the O. Not putting my convict in with him as the convict beats him up

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Here's the tank I'll probs put the GT in.

54" length
14" width
16" height.

52 gallons I believe. Still haven't moved in though, so its sitting there empty!

uploadfromtaptalk1416431461488.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I have had GT and Oscar together at different times. Never a problem, but large 6 and 7ft tanks. You will do much better with your plan of separate tanks.
Got pics? :) its quite funny, outsiders to the hobby can't understand dedicating one massive tank to one fish lol.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Yup my wife's exact words "wait please don't tell me this huge tank is just for that one little fish" pointing to the 3" oscar. And it's only a 55.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Lol exactly, and I'm already thinking of upgrade options down the line if the Oscar looks too big for this tank!

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I have 12+in Oscars living alone in 6ft tanks, and tanks are in no way too big for them. Unless you have kept Oscars long term and grown them big, it may be hard to picture little 2 and 3in fellas needing large tanks. Several months and several inches later, it becomes a little clearer. Big, fast growing fish for sure.

hemiboo

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
Charleston, SC
I've kept them together several times. The Oscar grows faster and the gt is more aggressive so it kinda offsets. Never had a problem with the mix before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
I have a gt and oscar right now. Oscar is 5" and gt about 2.5-3" the gt is so fast he just scoots away when the oscar gets close. Neither seem to have a territory but I suggest caves so the gt can rest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Is that a fish in the oscars mouth Lol. I agree with everybody on keeping the gt in the 52

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store