Fluval 405 questions???

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I currently have two Marineland 400 bio filters on my 60 gallon. I am planning on putting my fluval 405 on it. Would the fluval alone be enough? I know all about keeping the old filters running until the bacteria has a chance to grow on the new one. I'm just wondering if the fluval alone would be enough ad I would prefer to get rid of both of the HOB's

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Why not keep all three running? That way you have 2 running when you take one down for maintenance..you might be alright with just the 405, depending on your stock...but IMO you can't have enough filtration

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Why not keep all three running? That way you have 2 running when you take one down for maintenance..you might be alright with just the 405, depending on your stock...but IMO you can't have enough filtration
+1 just leave the hob filter on aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I don't want three running. So I will leave 1 hob with the canister. Thanks.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Ok I have a question. Do I have to keep unused trays in my canister filter? I don't have any media in the vertical tray that comes with the fluval fx4 and while setting the filter up I forgot to put the vertical tray in. Is it OK if I just leave it out since I don't keep media in that tray? I had the hardest time with this filter tonight and I would prefer not to mess with it again If I don't have to.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I would put it back in otherwise your water is going to end up bypassing the filter media to a certian extent as it will always take the path of least resistance.

Canister filters can be a pain, the fluvals arent too bad, once you break it down to clean it a few times you'll be pro. Good luck :)

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I have 2 405s on my 125 gal. I'd suggest getting the foam blocks for the first part. A lot of mechanical filtration comes from that part. Kind of useful. It is only like 8$ for 2 (u will need 4) and you can refuse them for a looooong time

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I have 2 405s on my 125 gal. I'd suggest getting the foam blocks for the first part. A lot of mechanical filtration comes from that part. Kind of useful. It is only like 8$ for 2 (u will need 4) and you can refuse them for a looooong time
Yeah I have the 4 foam blocks. I just don't have anything in the vertical tray. That is the part I forgot to put back in. I tried to put that tray back in last night and the filter started to leak, so I took it back out. The canister was full of water. Do I have to empty the canister before putting that tray back in? Can I just leave that tray out and put bio balls in?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
There is the area for the foam blocks then there is a long tray that stands up in the canister. What can I put in that area of the filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store