Atlantic Tarpon

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I am interested to know the growth rate and temperament on these guys? As I understand they are fairly slow growers? Also the cyprinoides is the purely freshwater tarpon correct? Anyone have one that can share their experiences please? They seem like a really cool fish that would be a nice addiction to my Rays that is different than most other fish! Thankyou all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Merged with another pretty much identicle thread that was recently posted and moved to Other Monsters as tarpons aren't characins.

Please read the previous posts. I expect your questions have been touched upon.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I am interested to know the growth rate and temperament on these guys? As I understand they are fairly slow growers? Also the cyprinoides is the purely freshwater tarpon correct? Anyone have one that can share their experiences please? They seem like a really cool fish that would be a nice addiction to my Rays that is different than most other fish! Thankyou all in advance!

Atlanticus grow fast while indos dont. The indos found here though are wild caught and are brackish.

My atlanticus is growing faster than my Nile Perch and Cichla Temensis. Considering those fishes grow fast the tarpon does too.

I keep mine with my motoros as wrll:)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Atlanticus grow fast while indos dont. The indos found here though are wild caught and are brackish.

My atlanticus is growing faster than my Nile Perch and Cichla Temensis. Considering those fishes grow fast the tarpon does too.

I keep mine with my motoros as wrll:)

I'd agree that atlanticus grow shockingly fast.

IMO however, the Indopacs grow fairly quickly as well. Not AS fast mind you, but still quickly enough to be a threat to slower growing fish. I had the longest-lasting Indopac of mine go from 3" on arrival to 8" in about five months before Max killed it. For every half inch Max grew, it grew an inch. It was impressive.

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
I'd agree that atlanticus grow shockingly fast.

IMO however, the Indopacs grow fairly quickly as well. Not AS fast mind you, but still quickly enough to be a threat to slower growing fish. I had the longest-lasting Indopac of mine go from 3" on arrival to 8" in about five months before Max killed it. For every half inch Max grew, it grew an inch. It was impressive.
Could it be because the indos you got there are better acclimated and converted to fresh as opposed to the ones we get here that almost always goes in to shock?:/

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Could it be because the indos you got there are better acclimated and converted to fresh as opposed to the ones we get here that almost always goes in to shock?:/

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I suppose it's possible. Mine came from stock freshly hatched then caught in fresh water on the eastern coast of Africa, as are most that are imported to the States. I understand they're native where you are, but I can't imagine that there's too much in the way of estuarian or freshwater habitats that could support them.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
My Atlantic tarpon was the best. He grew in spurts. He would go weeks without growing and then, seemingly overnight, would literally grow and inch or two. Aggression was never an issue for me either. I've had them with tiny mahseers and giant dats with no issues on both sides of the fence. Truly an awesome fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store