Carbon/Purigen/ChemiPure and Plecos

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
If you want to stop the water from constantly turning Tea Colored due to the driftwood, I suggest boiling the heck out of it before you put it back in the tank. That's what I did when I added a nice sized piece of wood to my 75 gallon tank. I kept boiling the wood in water for about 5 hours, constantly pouring the dark colored water out and replacing it with more tap water until the color was so light, it was almost clear.
That would have worked well, except these pieces are 2-3' long and equally as bulky. I've got chemipure sitting I'm a canister I'm going to plumb after this morning's water change so well see if that does the trick.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I did my regularly scheduled 50% water change and while I was at it, motivation struck. I plumbed another Eheim 2217 onto the tank with one unit of regular Chemi Pure and an 8w Aqua plumbed inline. I'm sure it was a combination of the three, but my water is invisible. Let's hope I get some miles out of the Chemi Pure before it reaches its capacity and needs to be replaced.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
Tannins in the water has many benefits, makes the water softer, reduce fish stress, gives the tank a more natural look, etc. They actually bottle it and sell it! Y remove something that will benefit your fish? I say leave it alone! lol. Time will remove it! just my opinion...hehe.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Tannins in the water has many benefits, makes the water softer, reduce fish stress, gives the tank a more natural look, etc. They actually bottle it and sell it! Y remove something that will benefit your fish? I say leave it alone! lol. Time will remove it! just my opinion...hehe.
I'm aware of its benefits, but a tank looking like someone pee'ed in it is an eyesore to both myself and company.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
I'm aware of its benefits, but a tank looking like someone pee'ed in it is an eyesore to both myself and company.
In that case run a UV Sterilizer. My water is clear but when my uv bulb goes out I notice water turns yellow within a day. I personally dont like to mess with carbon because it's short term and its only good for a month or two which i think is a waste of money.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Purigen worked well for me. Recharges a few times before needing replaced which is nice.

Finding a large tote and soaking in hot water can cut the time the wood leeches by tons.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
In that case run a UV Sterilizer. My water is clear but when my uv bulb goes out I notice water turns yellow within a day. I personally dont like to mess with carbon because it's short term and its only good for a month or two which i think is a waste of money.

UV doesn't do anything for tannins in the water.

Textile

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2014
MD
I have a bunch of plecos and i use purigen, though iv not found it doing anything for the tanins from the drift wood. While the fish like it, i wish it wasn't quite so dark. Perhaps i need to redo my purigen or add more...

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Chemi Pure worked wonders. I'm too lazy to recharge a Purigen every few weeks I'd rather just buy a new one. I'm gonna change it once a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store