Mini Goonch

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone know where to find a Bagarius bagarius? PC says they only get 8" or so and that's the one species I can house in any of my tanks because of size. I've never seen them for sale and was wondering if anyone here has.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Anyone know where to find a Bagarius bagarius? PC says they only get 8" or so and that's the one species I can house in any of my tanks because of size. I've never seen them for sale and was wondering if anyone here has.
Bagarius Bagarius is the highland giant "as seen on tv" lol... and the largest growing species. Bagarius Rutilius is one of the smallest species hitting around 3'. What u found on the net is not valid info.
Knowing u dont have room u should look into the Glyptothorax genus. True mini-goonch look alikes if u will.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
It's not sure if a dwarf goonch really exist. Most dwarf goonches floating around for sale and ID are actually Yarelli. There is no way to tell the difference between a dwarf and Yarelli. Sure, you can buy a goonch labelled as dwarf but that mini monster can turn into a tank buster.

There were a few of them imported a couple years ago and never grew (I think Rapps had them). The only time I would buy a dwarf goonch would be if it was raised from a long time hobbyist who had his or her "dwarf" for years and not seen in grown in captivity.
Only time can tell if there are really dwarf.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Everything stated is true. The smallest goonch you'll find is a B. suchus but they're extremely hard to find. Fugupuff just brought in a few recently but they're all gone now. Like Wednesday said, your best bet would be some sort of glyptos.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
PC reports what the latest scientific literature states on various genera. In the case of the genus Bagarius, the two most recent papers are by Roberts in 1983 and Ng & Cottelat (sp?) in 2009. Roberts had Bagarius as a three species genus and the 2009 paper split it into four.

However, the genus should contain five or six or even more species, based on morphological differences and allopatry.

Its is very likely that there is a dwarf goonch species. It would not be B. bagarius however as that name should be attributed to the HLG. I have personally seen two specimens, which may be enough for a description. I feel that the hobby should refer to this species, for the time being, as Bagarius cf. dwarf until it is properly described and named by someone smarter than myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I sure am glad we have so many fishgeeks on this site. I don't feel like such an outcast that's full of useless information about fish that no one knows anything about around here where I live. Except for me. Thanks for being there in my very own support group. Fish really are awesome.

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
Saw some Bagarius suchus at my lfs a few months ago. I had no idea what they were so I guess I really missed out :headshake

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store