RidX as a probiotic in your system

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
RidX is just a brand name. in the USA almost everything requires an MSDS info sheet.
The dry formula is perfectly natural & safe for aquariums. the only down side to me is the bran medium in it which can cloud tanks if added whole, "as is". but I bag it in fine nylon mesh and soak the bag in tank overnight then remove.
If this guy used the liquid formula, it is his own error for not reading up first, & the labels clearly say it contains chemicals.

Reactions: RD.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The link I posted in #2 of this thread has numerous mentions to Rid X in it. It can be found in the stickies of the fish health and diseases sub forum. As I said, I use it successfully in it's dry form. I was not even aware they had a liquid form of the product.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I used Ridx (dry) on and off, I stopped using it after I overdosed one of my tanks ( 1/4 cup in a media bag placed in my canister filter, tank was 125 ) and it started breaking down the Malaysian driftwood.. made the wood soft and spongey , also releasing tannins from seasoned driftwood that you would expect from newly acquired driftwood. Started crashing my PH causing me to remove rid x pouch and driftwood.. after numerous water changes over a course of a week tank stabilized...no fish where lost but they weren't as sensitive to water conditions as rays...

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Wow, 1/4 cup for a 125 gallon tank? I was instructed 1/4 teaspoon septobac per 100 gallons of water. My water is always clear as I run uv's and after a longer trial I can get some feedback on the media in my sump but I can see my bioballs stay cleaner and don't junk up.. Looks as though people are severly overdosing these products and that may be why they are having problems and losing fish.

So far I have been using it for just about 4 months.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Wow, 1/4 cup for a 125 gallon tank? I was instructed 1/4 teaspoon septobac per 100 gallons of water. My water is always clear as I run uv's and after a longer trial I can get some feedback on the media in my sump but I can see my bioballs stay cleaner and don't junk up.. Looks as though people are severly overdosing these products and that may be why they are having problems and losing fish.

So far I have been using it for just about 4 months.
I was experimenting to find out the limits

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
RidX is just a brand name. in the USA almost everything requires an MSDS info sheet.
Exactly, which includes play sand. GASP Ever read the MSDS for a bag of play sand, DavidW?
You better not move to California, because in CA play sand is known to cause cancer. (to fish?)

If this guy used the liquid formula, it is his own error for not reading up first, & the labels clearly say it contains chemicals.
BINGO!

DavidW's warning makes about as much sense as telling everyone that you can't use liquid ammonia to cycle a tank, because some brands contain surfactants. Sorry for his loss, but buddy funged up. Classic case of operator error.

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
All of those products are made of ANaerobic bacteria.
These bacteria ( and enzymes) are all 'man made' for specific actions in specific environments. NOT for fish tanks!

Why would you want that in your tank or filter? ( an aerobic system)

Why would you want enzymes that break down wood and vegetable matter in your tank? ( see Mr Pleco's post above) As a result of their metabolizing anaerobic bacteria produce poisonous gas and deplete oxygen. Oxygen that your good bacteria need to function.
If you keep up with your water changes and with your filter rinsing and have a decent water flow etc then there is nothing for any Anaerobic bacteria to eat and no-where for them to thrive anyway.

Anaerobic compete with and work towards creating an environment unsuitable for the bacteria that you DO want..Nitrosonomas etc, which are all AERobic

THINK people, THINK

No-one has done proper side-by side comparisons, with test groups or anything. Any of the positive info is anecdotal and seems to be based on wishful thinking and sample studies of 1 .
ie: 'I put this in my tank and my tank seems clearer, therefore this must have done it....therefore it is good for all fish in all situations'.....correlation does NOT equal causation!
The science based hard info lets you know this crap is USELESS in a fish tank, and ESPECIALLY potentially problematic for SCALELESS fish.
The manufacturers of this stuff themselves won't tell you what exactly is in it ( what bacteria exactly etc) but somehow therefore it is safe for rays?

So, to conclude: at best these products are useless, at worst they are fatal.

If you don't keep rays, and never have, perhaps best NOT to recommend voodoo witch doctor remedies.

But hey....you get to do what you like with your own fish tanks...so carry on.......
but remember....rays are very expensive....approved aquarium bacteria are not so expensive...why be cheap ? why take such an ill-informed risk?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Getting interesting. Subscribed. Hoping to learn more about this topic.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store