What is the Fastest and safest way to do a water change???

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you use a sump, its very easy.
I have 2" PVC Tee on the sump line, open a valve and instead of water going to the sump, it flows by gravity to my garden. Takes only a few minutes to send a couple hundred gallons outside.
And though I live in the north, I use water from mixed cold/hot lines to fill.

when I open the red valve, old water quickly heads outside

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
anyone suck out the poop under the driftwoods on water changes? lol i found tht it's really stressful for my poly if i move the driftwoods around.. anyone in the same issue?

Tharsgaard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2014
Scotland
If youre worried about change in temp or parameters you could use a storage tank upstairs to treat and heat the new water then gravity feed into tank.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Yeah this is what I do. I through a heater into the tanks the night before a change and it's already treated with prime. Then just pump it into the aquariums and all good.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
anyone suck out the poop under the driftwoods on water changes? lol i found tht it's really stressful for my poly if i move the driftwoods around.. anyone in the same issue?
Suspend the wood above the bottom slightly using strong fishing line.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Yes I do. I just move the wood very slowly and do the whole change slow in general and usually my poly stays put.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
Suspend the wood above the bottom slightly using strong fishing line.

ouhh, fishing line? how?
Yes I do. I just move the wood very slowly and do the whole change slow in general and usually my poly stays put.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
ouuhh, yep, the same method as i do.. thanks man.. i was hoping to find another safer method on solving this issue, but yeah, im good :)

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Fishing line. Tie a bit on each end, if tank allows, run a line out of each end at the top where a hole is cables, pipes etc. Tie together.
On my old pond I had a stainless steel hood for lights and screwed the wood onto it, so hung down like roots. Very effective. I'll post some pics if you're interested

Blazin

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2013
Illinois
Fishing line. Tie a bit on each end, if tank allows, run a line out of each end at the top where a hole is cables, pipes etc. Tie together.
On my old pond I had a stainless steel hood for lights and screwed the wood onto it, so hung down like roots. Very effective. I'll post some pics if you're interested

I would love to see this

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store