This is a fish you don't keep

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
That's to bad. Its cool that you have a walleye though. Goldfish are terrible nutritionally from what i've read.
so are other fishes with thiaminase (which included minnows, suckers, smelts, bullheads, scuplins, shads, whitefish etc) which make up bulk of walleye diet in the wild.

so are other fishes with thiaminase (which included minnows, suckers, smelts, bullheads, scuplins, shads, whitefish etc) which make up bulk of walleye diet in the wild.
Interesting. Wonder what keeps the walleyes healthy then?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
My walleye loves them...they're only big feeders I can find other than baitfish. Unfortunately, it eats live foods only.
Not to derail to much but since you're the only person I've seen on MFK with a Sander species, is your walleye very active diurnally or does it sulk like I've heard most tend to do in captivity?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Not to derail to much but since you're the only person I've seen on MFK with a Sander species, is your walleye very active diurnally or does it sulk like I've heard most tend to do in captivity?
Most times its usually sulking all day unless its SUPER hungry. If my walleye is active, time to feed him. I only feed him twice a week so I can see some predatory behavior instead of feed him everyday. He's capable to take frozen/dead foods but I see more active behavior from him when I offered him some live foods.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Interesting. Wonder what keeps the walleyes healthy then?
perch, young sunfish, crayfish and leeches but they are only available at specific times of year.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Dang buddy you think you have enough filter on that little tank for 1 fish??? LOL.. You look like me now with all that over filtering!!! Nice looking fish there, My big Red tail cat started drooling all over the place when he seen it!!! LOL..

Dang buddy you think you have enough filter on that little tank for 1 fish??? LOL.. You look like me now with all that over filtering!!! Nice looking fish there, My big Red tail cat started drooling all over the place when he seen it!!! LOL..
Thanks. I'm sure my little fat friends wouldn't last a minute in your tank. They are like swimming baked potatoes with all the fixings! :)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
perch, young sunfish, crayfish and leeches but they are only available at specific times of year.
I personally think piscivores aren't nearly as susceptible to thiaminase problems as other fish that aren't primarily fish eaters in the wild...thats just me though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store