Nandopis haitiensis (my little dream come true)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When the power went out a few years back, temps dipped into the 70s and the female died.
I traded the male soon after for a trio of adult beani. Funny, an adult mated pair of haits went for $10 at an auction here last month, a bag of juvies went for even less if I remember right.
I toyed with trying them out again, but decided the time wasn't right. When mine were spawning I gave away hundreds. But because of their sensitivity, I hear many didn't make it. All things must be perfect, or it's a downward slope.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Wow 10$ for a mated pair!!!??? I just sold my pair for way more $ than that!!! But then again, I haven't had any issues with the fry from this pair or the last pair.... But up untill I was successful with my last pair I went thru more than I can count lol ill get some again down the road too but for now im focused on other projects;) I do have a second batch of eggs from my pair. They should hatch and become free swimming before I ship the pair. I'll get some pics up here in the next couple of days. Imo if your looking for great quality haits, I would order from cichlid connection when they have them in. And reguardless of how everyone keeps them, just remember to add as much oxygen as possible to the tank; ie air stone, power head etc. Good luck with your new haits:)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree totally on high oxygen. I run foam fractionation on my tanks and try to keep saturation as high as temp allows.
There is an article called "Oh Island in the sun". Dominican Republic", by Alf Stahsberg that details temps he found haitiensus living in, in nature, and even density per meter if I remember correctly, which prompted my thinking on heat and stocking practices.
Another article in TFH mag called breeding Cichlasoma haitiensus from the 80s, that talked of growing them out in separate compartments that also led me down that path.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
Great fish I love mine.

I have bred them by the hundreds over the past 3 years.

I just sold some 1 to 1 1/2" fry 2 weeks ago to Aquatic Kingdom so the guys in the Toronto area looking for them can check them out to see if they still have them.

I also just sold some to the Hamilton Aquarium Services store on Friday.

I believe both stores will be in the $7 each range.

I find no problem breeding them in a 120 g. Either with 2 pairs or 2 females and one male.Use lots of bogwood and plastic plants to create 2 areas in the tanks for the females to live in.

I also breed my big male (13" +) with one smaller sibling male and 4 unrelated females. again with lots of giant plastic plants and tons of drift and bog wood. I have all four females breeding in their own territories and several babies in the tank.

Jason R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Minnesota
Before I bought my 4 Haits I did a ton of research gathering all of the info I could. Especially including experiences of members of this site. I concluded I would raise them in a divided tank to eliminate conspecific aggression related stress. Not one of them died on me and this was my first attempt. I also agree higher temps, plenty of oxygen, and pristine water. Great pics Duanes and FWP!

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Great fish I love mine.

I have bred them by the hundreds over the past 3 years.

I just sold some 1 to 1 1/2" fry 2 weeks ago to Aquatic Kingdom so the guys in the Toronto area looking for them can check them out to see if they still have them.

I also just sold some to the Hamilton Aquarium Services store on Friday.

I believe both stores will be in the $7 each range.

I find no problem breeding them in a 120 g. Either with 2 pairs or 2 females and one male.Use lots of bogwood and plastic plants to create 2 areas in the tanks for the females to live in.

I also breed my big male (13" +) with one smaller sibling male and 4 unrelated females. again with lots of giant plastic plants and tons of drift and bog wood. I have all four females breeding in their own territories and several babies in the tank.
Lol so your the guy. Me and my buddy cleaned out aquatic kingdom. We bought 20 of your nasty's lol. The little guys look really good do you have a picture of the parents?

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Lol so arapaimag your the guy with the nasty's...... Me and my buddy bought 20 of your little guys from aquatic kingdom. I would love to see a pic of the parents if you have any. The little guys are looking good.

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
I took one of the juvi's and have him in a 40 gallon alone. I noticed the last three days he has had a white stringy piece of waste hanging out of him. Today is day three and its longer then it was the previous days. Is this constipation or a sign of bloat?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store