Cat shark with bloody eye/retnia....

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
View attachment 1034308
View attachment 1034309
Male ate again tonight, fingers crossed they both make a full recovery eventually. This is the female pictured above :( .... only one eye is like this but thats one too many. Its looking exceptionally bad this evening. Anyone know of any meds or vits that can help aid in the healing process or is it too late for her eye?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
With the damage being so close to the brain, I would suggest having a vet prescribe you an antibiotic. The best antibiotic for sharks that are not eating is probably ceftazidime.

Squirrels are known for being pretty good shark tankmates. Eye issues with elasmobranchs are often associated with Flukes. If the vet can get a skin scrape as well that would be helpful.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thanks for the information Ppoeschl. Im fairly positive a local vet here in rural Ohio may be unknowledgeable in this scenario, but its worth making a few calls. Theres a couple Zoos 1-2hrs away so that could possibly help locate someone for me to call. Are there any other meds/treatments I can get my hands on without a liscence and administer myself?

Ppoeschl

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Panama City Beach
Thanks for the information Ppoeschl. Im fairly positive a local vet here in rural Ohio may be unknowledgeable in this scenario, but its worth making a few calls. Theres a couple Zoos 1-2hrs away so that could possibly help locate someone for me to call. Are there any other meds/treatments I can get my hands on without a liscence and administer myself?
It all depends on the vet... it wouldn't take much searching to find that public aquaria use baytril, ceftazidime, and other antibiotics for cats and dogs on sharks and rays. They just need to "write you the script" You could try over the counter fish antibiotics, but overdosing and underdosing is a problem, and it will affect your biological filter. It wouldn't hurt to call a vet locally and ask.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Zoo where r u buddy....nat geo filmin another shark special lol?

Sorry I was out. Vacation/filming manatees. :)

In those last pics, it does look like trauma to the eye itself. My first thought when reading this was a bacterial infection (which can lead to red eyes). But I would say it's a scratch. Is if from the rock or the fish - your guess is as good as mine.
I've run heavy actinics on shark tanks and never had an issue or heard of anyone having issues doing it that way.

Pull the squirrels for now is a good step. That being said, I've had them with cats and bamboos without any issue (which is one reason I like them for filler fish).

If you want a contact at Columbus Zoo, let me know, I can PM you some names/numbers. Baytril might be the easiest thing to get your hands on. Kanamycin or nitrofurazone would be less aggressive, but would help as well in preventing any infection from spreading.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Sorry I was out. Vacation/filming manatees. :)

In those last pics, it does look like trauma to the eye itself. My first thought when reading this was a bacterial infection (which can lead to red eyes). But I would say it's a scratch. Is if from the rock or the fish - your guess is as good as mine.
I've run heavy actinics on shark tanks and never had an issue or heard of anyone having issues doing it that way.

Pull the squirrels for now is a good step. That being said, I've had them with cats and bamboos without any issue (which is one reason I like them for filler fish).

If you want a contact at Columbus Zoo, let me know, I can PM you some names/numbers. Baytril might be the easiest thing to get your hands on. Kanamycin or nitrofurazone would be less aggressive, but would help as well in preventing any infection from spreading.
As always much appreciated Zoo, sorry to pester u while u were on vacation lol...jealous u were filiming manatees :) thats a hell of a vacation. Thanks for taking the time to help me out i feel alot better now with ur diagnosis. Since the squirrels have been out for a few days the sharks are back to acting what i deem "normal". The squirrels were becoming very agressive during feeding and you could clearly tell the sharks were afraid. Shaking heads and backing up if a squirrel was near. Im quite surprised as they cohabitated well for a few months but it happens, just glad i caught it...Both their eyes are actually healing a bit also. Not 100% but theres def. Been an improvement in the redness/clarity of the eyes...good to know i didnt blind them with actinic light either lol, my heart sank when i read it was possible... The male is still eating well and i'll be trying with the fem this evening. I let her chill out for a couple days and didnt pester er with the tongs. Im not opposed to some sort of treatment just to prevent infection like ur saying, just let me know what steps i need to take next, ill shoot you a p.m.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store