How to pick a pleco up properly?

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
How big does a pleco have to be to get picked up as I have a 2 1/2 to 3 inch pleco. And thought maybe they have to be quite big like 6 inch maybe
I've seen photo's of this being done on some as small as 2-3".

Sorry Alex that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to see why people (other than vendors) do this.
Yea from my understanding you can't keep rays out of water for long since they become overly stressed also you can't use normal nets cause of there tail and spine. Another thing you got to worry about with rays is there mucus membrane which coats there whole body. Pleco's are not your typical fish that have to worried about like that. If you ever get a chance feel the sides of a pleco. You'll notice they are rough and don't really got a mucus membrane. They do have one but it's no where near as much as a traditional fish or like a ray.

tigerjace

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 5, 2006
SoCal
Every time I see a pic of someone holding a pleco I can't help but think why? Wouldn't a rubber net be better? I guess I just don't understand wanting to touch your fish. I saw a vid of a guy rubbing his stingrays. Im not trying to pick on anyone it just seems odd.
I put my pleco on my belly while sitting on the couch and we watch tv together....He Loves It!

jtizzle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Austin, TX
I really wish I had read this thread first before transferring my 7" watermelon Pleco L330. I just started another thread asking if I may have hurt him picking him up in a net. One if his fins is sticking out now. Does anyone know if this will heal?

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store