Local Fish Store Best Lies

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I had a worker at Petsmart tell me that I can't keep Angels with cichlids…because cichlids are too aggressive. I was like…you know Angels ARE cichlids right?
At least the worker was trying to inform you that angel fish might not be able to hold their own against other fish,and just didn't realize that they are cichlids rather than lie outright to you in order to make a sale.

Eclipse390

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2011
Hudson Valley, NY
At least the worker was trying to inform you that angel fish might not be able to hold their own against other fish,and just didn't realize that they are cichlids rather than lie outright to you in order to make a sale.
Should've said what I was buying - 3 angels and a blood parrot. She said the blood parrot was too aggressive for the angel. Didn't matter in the end - lost all the angels in 4 hours. Went back the next day - lost every fish in their shipment that day. Never bought there again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Damn...Sounds like someone's water is crappy.On topic though,I wouldn't trust blood parotts with angels so the fish catcher was looking out for you.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Back when I was new to cichlids,I had an 'expert' at my lfs tell me that a red devil, an oscar, a green terror AND a chocolate cichlid would be fine for life and compatible in a 50g, 3ft tank. I got the oscar and RD, and 15min after they are put in the tank together, I have a nearly dead oscar. Needless to say I put them in separate tanks and found them both new homes as soon as I could. I still bought fish from them, but I made sure to do my own research. I have heard (and been told) some epic mistruths about fish in the past by various lfs'.

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I own a lfs and every one of my employees knows that if they are asked a question they don't know, they simply say "I don't know, but let me see if my boss does" and come and find me and we get the question answered correctly..

And it's not just the lfs to blame...customers can (and do) lie very frequently. I get at least one person a week that will tell me they have a tank that is set up and cycled so they can buy a fish and then 5 days later they come back with a dead fish and a sample of water with ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates through the roof...only after the test results do they admit their tank has only been running for 8 days..

I understand that you want fish but the only reason we want you to wait is so the fish you spent money on LIVES rather than die..
not only that but cycling a new tank that has fish currently in it can be a PITA for both customers and lfs employees..

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
petsmart is notorious for the whole "We can't sell you a manageable amount of feeders, no tank can sustain 15+ fish". I got in an argument with a lady because I wanted 10 danios (substitute feeders for my pickerels in a pinch) and she was arguing that no more than 6 could fit in my tank. I was like they are .5" long schooling fish...going in a 55 (I already knew their BS policy of refusing the sale if you say you are feeding the fish to something else so I neglected to mention the toothy roommates they were going to have) thats plenty of room for 10 danios. She expected me to say I had a 10 gal tank then after I told her what my tank was, she still wouldn't back down...

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
It's funny how they don't ask for tank mates, just tank size. When I was buying neons for a hatchling shark they only asked tank size, I didn't say they were going into a saltwater tank with a friendly tank mate.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Big Fish Freak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I was also in Petsmart 5 years ago and one of the employees was netting some mollies, platies, parrot cichlids, and bala sharks that she recommended would be "perfect additions" for the customers Red Ear Slider...I started laughing so hard I had to leave. By far one of the worst things I have ever heard someone at Petsmart/Petco

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
I was at an lfs in the city and the fish expert didn't lie, but when I asked for frozen mysis for my clown loaches the clerk went into the back and returned with a bag of frozen mice. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store