Done with Eheim - sunsun review

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
IMO fluval are the best filters on the market!!!! I have 2 404's that I have had for over 10 years and have never had a problem with them at all, I have changed the impellers maybe 3 or 4 times in that time but that is with all filters over time...I have (7) FX5's (4) 404's, (3) 405's, and (2) 406's and love them all.. also have (5) AC 70's, (2) AC 50's, and (2) AC 30's and never had a problem with them!! I love the AC HOB filters because I buy all my media in bulk so it is much easier to use with them!!

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah I like fluval filters a lot too. Im not a fan really of most of their design elements. I don't like the way their canisters are put together, I don't like the plumbing, but damn it they work. They are built well, are super easy to prime, and have excellent mechanical filtration with the sponges. Great product overall. Im on the fluval bandwagon for life it seems.

To be perfectly honest I think the determining factor to a canister filter working properly and working for a long time is maintenance. If you let the filter clog up with waste it puts unnecessary strain and negative pressure on the impeller. It puts undue stress on the hoses, o rings, and fittings. If the motor is under stress it'll generate excess heat and cavitate. All of these things contribute to premature failure - sunsun, rena, fluval, eheim, any brand - it can all be prevented by laboriously cleaning these tedious little units.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
And that is the problem with canisters, people buy them so they can reduce tank maintenance, and go 1,2,3+months without cleaning them. Its alot to do with the marketing, they are advertised as ultimate, superior filtration for any tank, a godsend to people short on time for tank maintenance, but we all know they arent ...but my first canister, a fluval 406 i believe lasted me over a year with only 2 cleanings(i was a noob at this point, shame on me!) And has been working flawlesly for my friend(the one whos 306 broke) for about 2.5years, and he doesnt do regular maintenance either. So for that i applaud fluval.
Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I am going to have to strongly and completely disagree with this statement
Me too. To me, a hob takes up a decent area of space in a tank. But some are great(ac110) but not neccessary. There like canisters they have good and bad points.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
How does a HOB filter take up "a decent area of space in a tank"?

Not that I disagree with the last two comments, there are plenty of ways to filter a tank, and IMO none are a must.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
If you have say 125+g tanks then yeah a hob isnt to big a deal, but on smaller tanks it can be a pain. Some are worse than others for size, but imo i like as much space in a tank as possible, so spray bars and top level skimmers are my thing. I am in no way slating hobs, they are great, but as nothing is perfect ill have a flawed canister over a flawed hob. But a sump is better:)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I wouldn't consider an AC intake tube to be taking up a "decent area of space" in any size tank, but maybe that's just me?

Either way, every filtration style/method has their pros & cons. A person can debate that until they are blue in the face.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I wouldn't consider an AC intake tube to be taking up a "decent area of space" in any size tank, but maybe that's just me?

Either way, every filtration style/method has their pros & cons. A person can debate that until they are blue in the face.
I think that is all more a matter of perspective rather than actual space occupied. I kind of see what he is saying with relation to tank size. If you look at a HOB on a 150L vs a 40B, It may appear to take up more room simply because the tank is smaller, not because its actually occupying more space since the intake tubes are taking up relatively the same amount of area in both cases haha.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I get it, but the same could be said about a rock, a piece of driftwood, or even the depth of ones substrate. It's all relative to the size of the tank. A black painted intake tube up against a black painted background, and forgetaboutit. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store