Most aggressive hap

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Dimidiochromis compressiceps IME

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
hmmm....my experience is a bit different. The 8" male, 5" male I have are wimps. I had the 8" male in a 125 with Blue Dolphins --- he ended up getting bloat. So I moved him into another tank where he is the biggest fish in there with mild tempered Haps such as Azureus and Borleyi.

The 5" male is with 3" Taiwan Reef and a 3" Mayland peacock --- same thing....those 2 kinda chase him around.

The most aggressive hap I have is a 6" Fusco, currently keeping a close watch on him. If he does not calm down, will trade him for frozen krills soon !! :headbang2

grail63

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Arizona
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this one as every fish has a different personality. Some of the most aggressive fish I have owned include Venustus, Sciaenochromis fryeri and a totally evil Chilotilapia rhoadesii

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Have you ever seen a large tyrannochromis? I've kept over a hundred different species of africans and nothing has compared to the few tyrannochromis I've owned over the years. Also dimidiochromis kiwinge are pretty nasty as well. In my growout tank my little 1.5" male acts just like his dad, he completely runs the tank which includes nimbochromis fusco's 5 times his size, its nuts.

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
We'll considering that I've only owned 10 species of haps, most aggressive I've owned I have to go with fuscos. I got 10 diff haps at .5 inches. 1 year later at 5 inches fusco is the only one left. Killed all the rest off. He was crazy he beat up bigger haps and bit a frontosas tail in half that was twice his size. Also killed bigger green sunfish he was a mean bastard lol he died from a power outage when I was on vacation

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Spartacus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
ft.myers,florida
the emperor cichlid from tanganyka although idk if it is considered a hap.as far as Malawi-tangerine Tigers can be mean,but in reality it seems like it comes down to individuals.Every litter is going to have one or more dominant fish.these 'picks of the litter' can be more aggressive.Hypothetically speaking if you added a more aggressive species or one that is thought to be,to a tank with not as aggressives,it might work if you used a sub-dominant one.
Also I've seen a front maul a fusco,but the fusco started it.these were jumbo sized.they lipped up and the front body slammed him repeatedly.After all the others saw the previously dominant fusco weakened,they jumped him and killed him.
I've heard ahli's are also aggresive ,but had 3 and none were to bad.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
out of all the haps that I own I'd have to say it's the nimbochromis species. Right now it's between my 7" fusco and the 9" venustus. Those two are always at it.

GVerde

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
Chicago
I've owned almost every large hap you can imagine. Fuscos are the most aggressive then venustus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store