Need help finding a wet pet

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I think a Trimac is going to be the way to go for you. Its hard to catch all their color & irridesence in pics, but they are a great looking fish in person. They get large quickly, eat everything(they have a huge mouth & its awesome watching them take down chunks of food), don't typically get a large hump although the head does get pronounced, and a 125 is perfect for them.

I've bought Trimacs from Rapps & from Dan @ CoA. I liked the fish from Rapps much better. My CoA Trimacs didn't have any of the characteristic spots Trimacs get their name from.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I think a Trimac is going to be the way to go for you. Its hard to catch all their color & irridesence in pics, but they are a great looking fish in person. They get large quickly, eat everything(they have a huge mouth & its awesome watching them take down chunks of food), don't typically get a large hump although the head does get pronounced, and a 125 is perfect for them.

I've bought Trimacs from Rapps & from Dan @ CoA. I liked the fish from Rapps much better. My CoA Trimacs didn't have any of the characteristic spots Trimacs get their name from.
Not a huge trimac fan. Plus my girlfriend has to approve all new fish. LOL Its one of the reasons I was thinking of Vieja because she likes most of them (she's a huge fan of pinks and purples).

A single male managuense would fit what your looking for, personable once they get past 6, no nuchal hump, and would fit in a 125

Showed the girlfriend some picks of jags and similar fish (dovii and RTM) and she said no to all, but the RTM and even that sounded iffy.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Sounds like you have your mind made up on Vieja. I think it is a good choice it fits everything you are looking for. Mine is a Vieja Synspilum and I love her. she has great color. Personality she is still skittish but she is still small.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Sounds like you have your mind made up on Vieja. I think it is a good choice it fits everything you are looking for. Mine is a Vieja Synspilum and I love her. she has great color. Personality she is still skittish but she is still small.
You're probably right. LOL I should have just phrased the question as "are Vieja personable?"

lrudd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
washington DC
I own a 12-14" tiger oscar. I am looking for a new home for it. he likes to open his mouth and beg for food when people walk in the door and has broken a ten-galon tank before. he has not had any helth issues allthough e has tried to jump out of the tank before

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So if I want the zonatus my fish club friend has, it would need to live in the 75 until I could empty the current stock, which isn't a big deal. However, I've found out that the fish is male and doesn't play well with others. I would still get it, but I've been told a male would likely not be able to deal with a 75 gallon for life and I take issue with giving one fish an entire 125. At best, I might be able to pair it up with a female in the 125, but I'm honestly reconsidering the zonatus in favor of something smaller. So I'm still looking...

Was thinking I'd turn the 125 into an acara tank with a pair of metae and a pair of Jenaro Herrera (think I already have two) plus my lone notatus sev and just rehome my four Guianacaras. I've heard many people say their acaras are very personable, especially in pairs.

So that still leaves my 75 open for either a solo wet pet or a pair of wet pets. I've thought about A. rivulatus, but in order for me to reduce the nuchal hump growth of the male, they would have to be introduced when both are 6-8" and forced pairings don't end well sometimes, so growing them out is the best way. I don't want to unnecessarily kill a cichlid if it isn't absolutely necessary and I don't have a hospital tank up and running in the even something goes wrong.

If I went the Vieja route, it would have to be a female in order to keep size as small as possible.

Someone said to get a female festae (12" max I think). Are they personable? The females look amazing and I would definitely get one if it was personable.

Thoughts on how to maximize my stock (currently two Aequidens 'Jenaro Herrera', one notatus sev and four Guianacara stergiosi) with the 125 and 75, or just thoughts on other possible wet pets?

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
My melanurus (formerly known as synspilum) is very personable, not a glass banger by any means but always front and center following me when im near the tank. Might not be as personable as a midas but head and shoulders above severum. Mine is in a 235 with severum, heckelli, and a bellycrawler so you should be able to keep some of your current stock if you want.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Sorry but hands down any Amphilopus is the most personable fish! Others like Haiti and Umbees, Dovii can also be but there is always a better chance of getting a dog like fish with amphilopus!

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I think if you got a female Synspilum (maybe grew out a few and kept a female?) you could put it in the 125g with a few smaller, milder CA cichlids, like Cryptoheros species, robsertsoni, nics, Thorichthys species, rainbows, etc. Based on what I have seen so far with my pair, Synpilum are very mild Viejas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store