CONJAG - Has white lips this morning

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
His lips don't look stuck and he has been eating, I had a grammode who died of duck lips and his lips where like detached from his face. Almost like a permanent yawn. It sucked. As far as the ConJag, his lips have regained some of their color, but still look slightly swollen. I treated the tank with 2500 mg of amoxicillin (couldn't find Kanamycin) and will add another 2500 mg every other day for a total of 7500 mg. The guy at the LFS said not to change the water for two weeks so the meds have time to work, but that seems like an awful long time to not do a water change. When do you think I can do a water change without diluting the effects of the meds. I also added a good amount of aquarium salt...let's see what happens. i hope I'm not doing damage to my fish by treating without a 100% confirmed diagnosis of columnaris

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Earlier today-

ammonia .25 ppm

nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 0 ppm
ph 7.4
temp 81F

This evening (after adding salt, prime, and amoxycicillin)
ammonia .25 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 4 ppm
ph 7.4
temp 81F

Was I getting 0 readings on nitrites and nitrates because of a 50% water change?

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
I'm going to go ahead and take the advice to medicate the tank and treat it as duck lips. However, I do have two possible suspects who could have done this if it is in fact a broken jaw, which I hope it is not. Trace, you said your umbee looked like this in the beginning...I'm afraid to ask, but what did he look like in the end? Did he recover?
He lost half of his top lip because it was broken and dislocated to far away from the other piece to heal. Other than that he fully recovered. I treated the secondary infection with metro and several rounds of nitro and did daily 25% wc in a sterile bare bottom tank. I also very importantly didn't feed him until after he healed( just about a month long fast).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store