Can I use Laguna Bio Filter Media in a canister filter?

smiley111

Feeder Fish
Mar 26, 2013
Lansing MI
I recently purchased two ML 3-360s and i want to add some additional bio media. I was first looking at seachem matrix but that stuff just seems too pricey. Not even sure how it happened, but i came across "Laguna Biological Filter Media" on Big Als website (http://www.bigalspets.com/biological-filter-media-3-kg.html) The price seems real nice for that amount and isnt lava rock the same as whats used as matrix?
I was wondering if that stuff would be a viable option to put in some trays of my filters?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yep you can use it, or lava rock, or old toothbrushes (if they fit) if you want.
Biomedia is just surface area for bacteria to live on, although some types may have more surface area than others, in the end, once its covered in biofilm.....well...it is what it is.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Yep you can use it, or lava rock, or old toothbrushes (if they fit) if you want.
Biomedia is just surface area for bacteria to live on, although some types may have more surface area than others, in the end, once its covered in biofilm.....well...it is what it is.
Well stated !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store