Where does one get a Bowfin?

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I know you probably have to get one wild caught. Is that where everyone gets theirs normally?

Also, I know both are considered "ancient fish", but other then that do bichir ans bowfin have any common features? They have very similar body type, and both have the "feelers" on tip of their nose.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Contact the member sbuse....he was selling some a while ago.

groovelicious

Feeder Fish
Apr 20, 2012
belgium
I have 5 bowfin and bought mine in a "tropical fish" store. Ruinemans imports them from time to time. They have a settlement Florida. Maybe you can try to contact them.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Bowfin are not very closely related to bichirs rather they are closely related to gars hence the addition of "& Bowfins" to the "Gar" sub-forum. The phylogenies keep changing to a certain extent, but the gar/bowfin relationship is still left pretty well intact in all of them; bichirs keep getting moved around but never get paired of with bowfins.

That one is pick-up only which kind of ruins it.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
That one is pick-up only which kind of ruins it.
I wouldn't say ruins...:nono:
contacting the seller puts him in communication with someone who deals in bowfin, and will ship-just not that one. certainly wouldn't hurt to ask if he gets/ships them if they're smaller.
if he says no to that, then I'd call it ruined.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Who doesnt love to be asked if they ship if they said pick up only?

N8sharpe

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2012
Cincinnati
I know you probably have to get one wild caught. Is that where everyone gets theirs normally?

Also, I know both are considered "ancient fish", but other then that do bichir ans bowfin have any common features? They have very similar body type, and both have the "feelers" on tip of their nose.
Check US Native Fish on Aquabid

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I do regularly. Still looking.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store