What's the thing called?

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I've been searching for 2 days. I see it mostly in newer acrylic tanks, but I'm looking for the word for a part. I want a black plastic squared U shape piece in which to put my heater and filter intakes. Kind of like an upside down overflow, with the "teeth" down on the bottom to let water in. Inside that channel is my heater and filter intake. Instead of seeing them, the black plastic piece hides them against the back of the tank (which is painted black).

Does that make any sense? Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I know i've seen them in people's tanks, I just can't find any pictures right now.

/searchfail

Thanks!

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
Corner overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I guess that's it. I guess I'm going to have to fabricate the part I want. Basically, a squared U shape to hide plumbing and heaters, like an overflow, except I want it to pull water from the bottom, not the top.

Thoughts on acrylic vs glass, and how to make it black? I wonder if black ABS plastic would work.

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
use acrylic. It is easily bent and shaped with a hot-air gun. Paint the inside surface with a semi-gloss black. Seal to side of the tank with silicone

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
I'm not actually making an overflow though. More of a "parts hider". Some clean way of hiding the huge 300 watt heater, and the filter intakes. I might also position them so that I could run the cord to my powerheads in them, and maybe (if I ever decide I want bubbles) an air line.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Why not use 2-3 inch PVC? paint it black. few of my friends do this and place small hydor pumps inside they are like 10$ and use 4W but give decent follow within the PVC.
agreed...

Probably cheapest and easiest way to do what you want

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store