The Biotope Challenge

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
Your tank is fine. Those leathers are awesome.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Proteus;3341096; said:
Just got back from vacation with handful of redbelly dace, johnny darters, brook sticklebacks, crayfish, mudminnows that I have caught out of a family property river.... all in one spot- I even brought back the driftwood, plants and some sand....as well as clams, snails theres even 2 fish I'm not sure about the ID yet, they're called nile perch maybe something different they're brown with black stripe over their eyes
Nile perch? Where'd you get them? They have been introduced to some places in the US, but not many. They are HUGE fish and definitely wouldn't go with the other fish you have. Could you take a picture and post it in the native section for a positive ID?

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
if this contest was to go anywhere i would be more than willing to submit my Southern California Pacific Coast biotope :)

gnuisance

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2008
Northern New Jersey
andyjs;3349508; said:
Nile perch? Where'd you get them? They have been introduced to some places in the US, but not many. They are HUGE fish and definitely wouldn't go with the other fish you have. Could you take a picture and post it in the native section for a positive ID?
Where have Nile Perch been introduced in the U.S? I researched this and wasn't able to find anything. Just curious and looking for a bit more info...

Darth Scohin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2009
Mountain Valley, Near Flats
Okay, West African Biotype "Plastic Plants" (they had BB on them+Algae swapping out for Bolbitis slowly) Flora: Riccia (not pictured) Anubias
Fauna: Senegal Bichir, Leopard Ctenopoma, Featherfin Syno, Endlicheri Bichir (African Butterflys and Congo Tetras Coming Soon)

I'll update after it has been "aged"

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
This is a pic of my Rio Negro flooded forest biotpe.
Inhabitants are:
6 Altum angels
18 Rummy-nose tetras
4 sterbae cories ( I know not technically right but still searching for the right ones.)
Driftwood
Fake vegetation
Natural silica sand
1 light with 120W output over the centre.
Tank Shots 001.jpg

Tank Shots 002.jpg

Tank Shots 009.jpg

Tank Shots 011.jpg

Geoey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2009
Darwin,Australia
True biotopes must have :

1. real live plants (from the intended location)
2. wood/rocks from the right country(mopani in a CA or SA biotope big fail!)
3. fish from the right country location( and environment just because they are from the same location/country does not mean they would encounter each other in the same body of water.
4. the substrait needs to be beliveable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store