How to catch big rays

lfernandes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2012
northyorkshire
I moved a four foot long ray which had a 2 foot disc. Did it by myself so used a soft mesh keep net that I use for fishing. Got her in then grabbed her tail n supported her weight with my other arm. Was quickly done and reduced alot of stress chasing her with a big net. Probably.not the most common way to catch big rays but worked well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mindfuloffish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2010
USA
I read this thread with great interest since I just set up a second 1000-gallon ray pond and I needed to move 2 large castexi females into it. One of them is 24" disk, the other is 22" disk. In the past I've used both the rubber net method and the container method. These rays are too heavy for me to pick up by myself safely (I'm a girl), plus last time I used the rubber net on them, it bent from the weight. I also want to mention that it seems to vary from ray to ray on how calm they are during moving. One of these castexi is very calm and the other is very timid and freaks out easily.

I'm very experienced moving large koi (up to 36"), so I used a similar method to what I do with koi. I have a 30" koi net and 30" koi bowl and I got a friend to help me move them last night. It went amazingly well! Under 8 minutes to catch and move both of them. I slid the net under the ray, then gently lifted and had my friend slide the bowl under her. I slid the ray into the bowl and gently poured out most of the water. I put a towel in the water over the ray to pad the barb if it did thrash (plus I thought it might calm them a little to be covered). My friend and I then lifted the bowl and put it in the new pond, which was very close by.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi
That sounds like a good method. A bit of both with the net and the tub. I like it, glad it went well for you.

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
i have a large rubber net on hand for the day i need to handle them. worth the piece of mind. I've used it plenty for catching large arowana, prochilodus etc.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have a team diawa (think that's how you spell it ) snare free landing net so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
I use a large, flat tupperware container with a lid. Like containers meant to slide under the bed. I take my time, shoe the ray in, lid it, lift it. It is a wee heavy but better than risking a ray on the floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store