Looking into Convicts, have some questions

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I thought about it, but the geophagus turn over the substrate at such a prodigious rate (even though I'm evil and use gravel) that it would be a constant battle just to keep the plants planted!! maybe if I can get my hands on some anacharis or something, I dunno.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
My mesonauta destroyed my plants. Swords, anubias, ferns, crypts, roseafolia. Nipped at them all overnight, couldn't salvage them. Destroyed $50+ in plants. I was pretty pissed.

So, along with the geo I'd worry about that festivum as far as plants are concerned.

Tough little cichlid I should add though. Always called out my firemouth's bluffing. Countless times I'd catch the FM charge across the tank flaring only to bump right into the festivum because he expected the festivum to swim off! I was trying to find him a home and put him in with a 5" JD I had temporary. The festivum stayed near the top and away from the JD. I ended up removing the festivum first because he was nipping at the JD's dorsal fin, and the JD was too slow/big to catch him in time. Neat little cichlid.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Wow, the one I have is super aloof. All the other fish just assume it isn't a fish I think. He is only 2 inches, so in range for a bichir snipe, but they completely ignore it (it doesn't have movements and presumably smell of a prey fish) and it doesn't get any aggression from my male geophagus. He so far just keeps to his grazing, eating mulm that is stirred up by the geophagus. Really cool fish, really liking the behaviour of this single one. Just slotted in really nicely in the upper area of the tank, I'm worried if I get him some friends the nipping might start! We'll see though. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store