red belly piranha information thread

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
The expensive and hardest part about keeping piranha is keeping a reliable food supply for them.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
look dude I mean no disrespect but if u go online on wikipedia I've been reading.it tells us how to differentiate the sex and I also read on the internet that 5 are perfect for a 100 gallon aquarium. So one makes a it perfect for a 20gallon. You can go and check at least that's what I read.:drool:
5 rbp may be good in 100g but that doesnt mean one is good in a 20g tank. There are many fish that swim in shoals and should be kept in groups. Also having the space to roam is good for them and 1 piranha in 20g tank wouldnt have anywhere to swim at all. Not to be rude but I dont get the point of this thread to be honest. Its a big write up of some generic wikipedia stuff and a little personal opinion but nothing new and not the greatest guide so I guess I just dont get the point in the post

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
5 rbp may be good in 100g but that doesnt mean one is good in a 20g tank. There are many fish that swim in shoals and should be kept in groups. Also having the space to roam is good for them and 1 piranha in 20g tank wouldnt have anywhere to swim at all. Not to be rude but I dont get the point of this thread to be honest. Its a big write up of some generic wikipedia stuff and a little personal opinion but nothing new and not the greatest guide so I guess I just dont get the point in the post
To be honest this is my first information thread, and I know there's no point but some people can just read here instead of going to the internet and finding the right information, it's not so good but atleast it's something. Now as far as the 20 gallon tank is concerned, some people can't or don't have the place, to keep a big aquarium so a 20 gallon is enough. And I completely agree about the shoal thing. And I also wrote it. So.......

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
You said they are banned in some countries. Are they banned in any parts of the USA? They are cheap and easy to get in the Ohio.
all I can tell you that I live in Pakistan and I came to America and I saw them in Rochester and new york these are the only places where I went, and the 10-11 inch red bellied piranhas were sold for 100$, smaller ones can be for 30-40$(each). I can't tell u whether they are available in Ohio, you should ask your fish dealer that as knows more and I'm quite far from your location.

d3r

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2013
Detroit, MI (motor city)
In the US the rule of thumb generally is if a piranha can survive and thrive in all seasons then they are probably illegal.

for example..in most Southern states..if you release red bellies into a lake they can thrive..reproduce and screw the ecosystem up.
as opposed to Michigan where i live..if i release a red belly it will most likely die in the fall or spring and most definitely die in the winter.

also to the OP i read "fatal wound or even death" ...if you receive a fatal wound it means you died from it...so that's a bit redundant.

But over all its not a TERRIBLE thread for rbp noobs to read. some things are opinion but its a decent base.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
+1 lol.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Invert trainer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2014
UK
Good info.
Brown/black writing was hard to read though and I had to highlight.

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
look dude I mean no disrespect but if u go online on wikipedia I've been reading.it tells us how to differentiate the sex and I also read on the internet that 5 are perfect for a 100 gallon aquarium. So one makes a it perfect for a 20gallon. You can go and check at least that's what I read.:drool:
I'm sorry but that's just really bad math, with that understanding of keeping multiple fish not sure you are in the best position to be putting together info threads. Not trying to be rude but it's hard to support threads like this that only include generic info from wiki and personal opinions that are incorrect.

edit: also, not great to use "i read on the internet" in your info thread haha. That may be true but not the most reputable way to prove your point.

rajatariqmustafa15

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2014
Pakistan
ok dude, i want you ask you guys a question, for how long can piranhas stay without a filter. i mean sometimes the electricity goes and it doesnt come back for 11 hours sometimes but it still scares me. can they survive for seven-eleven hours without a filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store