Why all the hate for Chinese knockoff filters?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Every single piece of aquarium equipment I own was purchased to replace something that broke (with the exception of some tanks and stands)

Every heater, every pump, every HOB, every canister. I even have a $100 submersible pump new in the box to replace the mag9.5 on my 90g and sump when it decides to stop working.

The stuff gets ran 24/7 it all breaks, doesn't matter who makes it, the junk all wears out.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Redundancy.....

all these filters, heaters, lights can break down one way or another any time any where....

Reason why I place 2 pumps in my wet and dry sump, use 2 heaters......etc.

Now there are certain brands I stay away from not because of where they were made, but these brands have failed one too many times. Yes, some of these have lifetime warranties, but each replacement item sent back to me likewise failed.

I have owned heaters, filters that failed that were not made in China.

Cost ---- Funny thing is that the cheapo filters I bought have been running much longer without failed parts than the name brands I paid a bit more. Maybe they a bit noisier, aesthetically not as appealing.....but heck it is doing its job.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
If you can afford $1000 for a fish and/or have the resources to house a full grown pacu, then shouldn't it be obvious that this thread really doesn't apply to you?.........I guess not
I'd argue, I have a Jack Dempsey I raised from a 1"juvi that cost me about $4 that I bought from Petsmart. He now resides in a 180 gal mansion with all the bells and whistles. He was my main reason for building a large display.

I don't think anyone should have fish as a hobby. It's something you dedicate yourself to, not just financially either. I compare it to having children. It's why I have fish now because I don't have anything else that is dependent on me. I don't have any constraints to give only the bare essentials.

To be relevant to the specific topic at hand there's somethings that haven't even been mentioned.

A lot of times Chinese companies are already making the name brand companies products you are buying and all the name brand company does is package the product differently and include their instructions warranty etc.

I.e. Marineland canisters are almost completely identical to the sunsun cans despite the color.

When you buy a "knock off" these are just the manufacturers swing at it. When companies outsource work there is a contracted time frame that the manufacturer can solely distribute to one company most of the time. As soon as this time is up then the manufacturer can now distribute it's own "copy" even though it's the same darn thing as the original with poor English and packaging.

As far as hating on products I don't until I've had a personal failure or a real reason not to like something. Like cheap led diodes and people thinking a cheap green or blue color is the spectrum as the proper one you need for PUR not PAR.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Only knock off I bought was a pair of Jebao wp40 power heads. At first I thought they were good and the next best thing. Well not even a 1 1/2yrs later I am into them for 3 wet sides and a controller. Not to mention they are no good in stingray tanks as they can't be fixed in a position and the stingrays move them all over the place and one day I came home to the power head pointing straight down. Cleared the entire bottom below of all the substrate(lucky me). Now can you imagine if that was pointing straight out of an area in the tank where there was no barrier or lid....Water on the floor!

The old saying you get what you pay for...Well I am going to pay for the name brand as they have never let me down.
I see a lot of issues coming from improper use or the person didn't know how to set the equipment up properly. So they start to run into problems. They get mad and blame the equipment instead of the user and jump off the band wagon and try something else. I too tried the jebao power head but I wasn't replacing anything just needed more power heads so I thought I would give them a try. Well I was very disappointed with the durability and won't be going the cheap way anymore. Having 3 wetsides fail and a control box has nothing to do with not knowing how to set up the product. Plain and simple they just crapped out because they are made cheap!!

I have never had a brand name product crap out!! True story!

I have aquaclear filters in my 2 smaller tanks and they are over 14yrs old. All I have had to do is change is the magnet impeller as they become demagnetized over time and thus loss of flow.

I have two FX5 filters that I bought when they first came out. Long time ago right! Well no leaks,no motor changes and no problems to speak of since I bought them. Why? Because I knew how to set it up and maintain it!!! I now have an FX6 added to help with the filtering one of my smaller tanks and it runs just fine.

I have had Eheim filters for years that I had no problems with and eventually had to sell them still working as I was selling the tanks they were filtering.

I have ebo jager heaters since day one. If you have problems with the thermostat then the easy fix is just buy a temperature control box. I have had maybe a couple heaters fail in 25yrs so I would say they are a good product. I use a temp control box for the ones I have in my sumps. I had stealth heaters and they work good too but had to return them due to the recall.

I have Ecotech vortech power heads since the day they came out. Only had to change a few wet sides over the years and that was usual maintenance. They never let me down and if a stingray grabs them all they do is fall off in the tank and you put them right back up. Happens very seldom so no big deal.

I use reeflo pumps on my sumps. No leaks and no break downs to speak of and one of them I am thinking is over 5 yrs old.

So since I have a good track record with all my brand products I won't be changing to the cheap China knockoffs. Whether some of my stuff is made in China or not doesn't matter as the brand name products I am buying have not let me down so no need to change to a cheaply made cheap knock off. For me spending a little more money for a piece of mind is nothing to cry about.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I was unaware how similar sunsun and the marineland c series were. Aside from the hoses and intake/spraybar they look identical. I looked at some exploded parts diagrams and I can't tell the difference.

I wouldn't even call it a knockoff, more like a clone. I've worked in manufacturing for a couple years now, and I can tell you in the food industry there is no difference between generics and name brands. Ive worked in a couple different plants, and that walmart greatvalue stuff is exactly the same as the name brands. Just a different box

I wouldn't be surprised if sunsun and marineland were made in the same facility. I haven't held both of them in my hands next to each other but every nuance looks identical. I doubt someone reverse engineered a product with that attention to detail. They probably use the same blueprints and molds.

But this is just speculation.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Made in China, guaranteed until lunchtime. LOL! A lot of products made in China are junk. Basically what the Chinese do is copy someone's design and create a knockoff. Why do most modern aquarium heaters fail? Because the thermostats are made in China. I have heaters over 25 years old that still work. Haven't found a recently made heater that is reliable due to thermostat failure. As to filters, the biggest problem with filters made in China is that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find replacement parts (and you will need them LOL!) I've been in this hobby a long time. I have seen many products come and go. Those that stand the test of time are the ones I buy and use. Name brand products like AquaClear, Fluval, Eheim, Danner Supreme, etc. are well built and have been around for a long time. Let me know if your Chinese filters are still running 30 years later, and I may buy one. You may save a chunk of change by buying cheaper filters made in China, but they will cost you in the long run.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Made in China, guaranteed until lunchtime. LOL! A lot of products made in China are junk. Basically what the Chinese do is copy someone's design and create a knockoff. Why do most modern aquarium heaters fail? Because the thermostats are made in China. I have heaters over 25 years old that still work. Haven't found a recently made heater that is reliable due to thermostat failure. As to filters, the biggest problem with filters made in China is that it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find replacement parts (and you will need them LOL!) I've been in this hobby a long time. I have seen many products come and go. Those that stand the test of time are the ones I buy and use. Name brand products like AquaClear, Fluval, Eheim, Danner Supreme, etc. are well built and have been around for a long time. Let me know if your Chinese filters are still running 30 years later, and I may buy one. You may save a chunk of change by buying cheaper filters made in China, but they will cost you in the long run.

Hmmmm....doubt if I will be around 30 years from now to let you know. But if a miracle drug is invented, will let you know for sure.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My main point and question as the Op were basically "if you dont like these chinese filters, have you actually tried them?"
I have no problem with those that choose to purchase lower priced knock offs, but after only using these filters such a relatively short duration, do you really think that you should be promoting their quality &/or their durability?

I've owned Eheim, Fluval, Aquaclear, Tetra, and Aqueon. My Ac110 and Ac30 are in a landfill somewhere, my Fluval 406 and 104 are both operating after purchasing plenty of spare parts over the years. My Eheim is in storage, I hated priming it so much I just gave up on it, I had problems since day one. In my dad's basement I have a lifetime supply of crusty old whisper filter parts.
I have several AC 500's (pre 110) that are still running 24/7 after approx 15 yrs use. (some more, some less) In fact, other than changing out a few impellers over the years (due to sand getting into them)at a price of under $5 per unit, I have had zero issues with that line of filters. How or why anyones AC 110 would end up in a landfill is beyond me. AC 110's are the work horse of HOB filters in the aquatic trade, and have been for decades. That, and all of their working parts are easily maintained, and if need be replaced at a relatively low cost.

When you buy a "knock off" these are just the manufacturers swing at it. When companies outsource work there is a contracted time frame that the manufacturer can solely distribute to one company most of the time. As soon as this time is up then the manufacturer can now distribute it's own "copy" even though it's the same darn thing as the original with poor English and packaging.

For the record, that is most definitely not always the case. In many/most cases the "knock off" is not made or distributed by the same manufacturer, or property rights owner at all, but is simply a lower cost imitation made from a completely different manufacturer.

Let's not glorify counterfeit goods, and for those that don't understand the differences .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfeit_consumer_goods

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You shouldn't be using a jack as a main support for working under anything anyways.

I've heard of all brands, SunSun, Duvall, etc , crapping the bed. I don't personally have a SunSun because all my filters were caught used for a cheap price. But if I had to buy a new filter it would be a SunSun hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Boom, beat me to it. If you aren't using a jack stand then I'm not even sure I'd fault the equipment completely when you become a soupy puddle under your vehicle.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have no problem with those that choose to purchase lower priced knock offs, but after only using these filters such a relatively short duration, do you really think that you should be promoting their quality &/or their durability?

I have several AC 500's (pre 110) that are still running 24/7 after approx 15 yrs use. (some more, some less) In fact, other than changing out a few impellers over the years (due to sand getting into them)at a price of under $5 per unit, I have had zero issues with that line of filters. How or why anyones AC 110 would end up in a landfill is beyond me. AC 110's are the work horse of HOB filters in the aquatic trade, and have been for decades. That, and all of their working parts are easily maintained, and if need be replaced at a relatively low cost.

Despite keeping my filters clean and staying on top of maintenance, I've had alot of negative experiences with the premium brands. I kind of got to the point where I decided not to pay top dollar for stuff that lets me down. If I'm gonna buy junk I'm gonna go in with a low investment and expectations.

My ac110 had a warped lid that rattled, it never started reliably after water changes, even with the body full of water and "primed". Some times I had to unscrew the motor and give the impeller a little push. the "u" shaped piece broke on me one day when I was cleaning it, without excessive force on my end. (That piece of plastic was $18 before shipping) It was always loud, eventually some sand got in it and I needed to replace the motor and I just had enough frustration with the thing and I tossed it. The ac30 sucked up some hornwort needles and the tiny tube clogged, it ran all night and the motor got hot and burned up, this one was my fault, I decided to cut my losses with it. Once you figure in parts and shipping I wasn't coming out ahead. To be honest if the aquaclear filters didn't use such flimsy plastic or weren't so overpriced I'd still be on that band wagon. I think it's awesome that you had such positive experiences with yours, RD. Maybe I need to give aquaclear another go around.

I'm not advocating that everyone only buy knockoffs, I'm just fed up with buying the "good stuff" and it's still junk thats made in china.

I've got some heat master supreme heaters from the 80s. I still use them. I have one 150w in use right now, it's older than me. (It got called into action when a fluval heater malfunctioned) They are awesome. If companies still made quality products like this domestically, that lasted more than 6-24 months I'd buy them. And I'd pay top dollar for them too.

But I have a hard time finding the good stuff. I've got an eheim canister in my basement collecting dust. I like the thing, but its been nothing but headaches.
I've had good luck with fluval canisters, ive had to purchase replacement parts, but over time the parts bills add up, and it's hard to feel like im coming out ahead. I know everything requires maintenance from time to time, maybe I have unrealistic expectations.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store