40 gallon stocking plan

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Well boys I had a TB outbreak in my old tank, had to euthanize susceptible fish besides the loaches (which don't get affected and I eradicated them to a separate tank) so now I'm replacing all contaminated equipment with new equipment, buying a new tank, filter, heater, decor everything save some food and tester kits. For now I'm roughly brainstorming what I want, but basically I want to change my overall prior stock from a small fish community to a large central fish, most likely a cichlid. For a while I was debating between a blood parrot or a green spotted puffer but now I'm looking into jack dempseys. Mainly I want to target fish that grow pretty big, can live in the tank and are badass killers like the puffer or cichlid. I'm looking to get only one, maybe a pair but probably only one fish in the entire tank. I have considered native fish like bluegill as well. I really don't know yet.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Is it a breeder sized 40? (36x18 base) You will be limited what you can put in there in regard 'BIG' fish. If you want a fish that is predatory and could fit in there for life, you could choose a single Arrowhead, Congo, Humpback or Hairy puffer. They are vicious little eaters BUT they also dont move a whole heck of a lot. They are lurker type predators AND they only need to be fed every toe or three days. So a GSP might be a better choice but would require a brackish tank to be healthy and thriving.

silly_xp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Byram, NJ
If you want a bad ass native predator you should look into the red finned pickerel it only gets around 8in max and looks just like a mini tiger muskie in my opinion

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I enjoy my blood parrots, but I think if I was to choose again, I'd go down the puffer route.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
a sole salvini would probably be very skittish and reclusive. ..hardly an outgoing aggressive predator the OP wants...might as well go with a pair of small cichlids. Or go saltwater where there are better options with some of the smaller scorpions or golden dwarf moray if predatory fish are preferred

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
These are all really cool suggestions thank you guys one question since stores near me don't sell any of them is my best bet online? I already know a place that has green spotted puffer in stock online. Might as well go all the way am I right boys

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
Is it a breeder sized 40? (36x18 base) You will be limited what you can put in there in regard 'BIG' fish. If you want a fish that is predatory and could fit in there for life, you could choose a single Arrowhead, Congo, Humpback or Hairy puffer. They are vicious little eaters BUT they also dont move a whole heck of a lot. They are lurker type predators AND they only need to be fed every toe or three days. So a GSP might be a better choice but would require a brackish tank to be healthy and thriving.
It's not really that narrow in terms of height, more even out like the standard aquarium

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
The GSP is a very active puffer and you will need to make sure to feed it properly to help keep its beak from overgrowing. I went with a lurker type piscivore that pretty much has no real issue with the teeth getting overgrown. I went with a hairy puffer. They are vicious little eaters but only need to be fed every two to three days. In my case I have this guy in an office where it is not high traffic so it perfect. He sits most the time but comes out when he sees me. Very interactive.

Just make sure to do your homework on puffers. They do have some diet requirement due to the teeth and are very sensitive to water issues.

bloodlucky

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2014
New York
The GSP is a very active puffer and you will need to make sure to feed it properly to help keep its beak from overgrowing. I went with a lurker type piscivore that pretty much has no real issue with the teeth getting overgrown. I went with a hairy puffer. They are vicious little eaters but only need to be fed every two to three days. In my case I have this guy in an office where it is not high traffic so it perfect. He sits most the time but comes out when he sees me. Very interactive.

Just make sure to do your homework on puffers. They do have some diet requirement due to the teeth and are very sensitive to water issues.
I actually have a question about these guys. I looked online an read that as long as you're feeding them hard shelled invertebrates like snails their teeth will be dulled down to normal size, while someone else said that no matter what you feed you should expect to manually trim their teeth once every 6 months.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store