What does the "prime" button on a canister filter actually do?

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
There is a primer button or lever on most every canister filter I've ever used/seen, but I've never found them to do anything except blow a few bubbles out of the tube. I've never needed to use one to restart my canisters either. What is the concept behind a primer button?

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
To start an empty canister without leaving air and without requiring user to suck on the output.

BassetsForBrown

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2012
Boston
To start an empty canister without leaving air and without requiring user to suck on the output.
I've been using canisters for about 3 years now, and I've never had to suck on my output to get it started. Nor would I even think to consider putting that thing anywhere near my mouth....

LONE_WOLF

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2013
Rancho Cucamonga
There is a primer button or lever on most every canister filter I've ever used/seen, but I've never found them to do anything except blow a few bubbles out of the tube. I've never needed to use one to restart my canisters either. What is the concept behind a primer button?
It shocks a guy in the other room..............

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Dunno if this is right or wrong but I usually pump mine up and down a few times on my fluvals and they fire right up.

My eheim on the other hand can be a real chore. Im lazy and I have a small powerhead that I attatch with a small piece of hose to the siphon tube. The force of extra water helps the pump prime right away.

Im assuming the prime is some sort of bypass which allows the motor to recirculate water before the impeller cover/outflow in a closed loop allowing air to purge through the outflow with minimal resistance, but hey I have no idea.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store