ID these fish?

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
So got my 125 set up for the most part last night. The lady let algae get really bad so I have the driftwood out drying so I can scrape off all the green. Will be getting more substrate as there is barely enough to cover the bottom at the moment. There are 13 cichlids and one common? Pleco. This is what I "think" I have.
1 melanochromis.
1 lab caeruleus
1 labeotrophis trewavasae
2 of some kind if cyphotilapia
2 metriaclima estherae
1 " " lambardi
And 3 pyrsonotos.
Haaaalp lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324743.140263.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324762.139839.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324791.576718.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324806.451345.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324819.994363.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1409324848.040864.jpg

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Oh no doubt, a little I'm fine with but this crap was thick. Like, I didn't know that they were driftwood, thick lol. I think I might get rid of the dark fish though. I'm wanting fish that will stand out once I get my black background up. I like red, silver, blues and combos of that. But not until I know for sure what these are so I can learn and make proper choices for my tank.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
congrats on actually getting ID's, My thread still has no replies. its why I never come here anymore

Frontosa is a carnivore and does best on higher protein diets, the rest of your fish are Mbuna.
Yellow lab, Orange zebra, Acei and labeotropheus trevawasae (can't spell)

Nice selection and range of color! Front will do fine on a veggie diet with a few meaty foods thrown in from time to time, but he won't thrive. THey are better with america cichlids dietwise. But hey you should be fine if you feed NLS thats a good midway food for all range of africans

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Yea, I'm starting to figure that out lol. This place used to be bustling a couple years ago when I first joined.
I ended up posting on some fb fish groups and everyone has said the same thing.

Bf threw some small fish in the tank and everyone went nuts. The fronts perked up and ate a few. The big ones color is coming back as well. There's a new fish place opening up on Monday and they specialize in cichlids so I'm going to see if they will take the fronts and a couple of the others. My tank is primarily black. Bg and sub straight. Working on getting some lighter grey rocks and some driftwood to put in.

What would be some good fish to put in? Cichlids or others. I want silver, red, and/or blue. I just want everything to be compatible. Also, should I watch out for mating pairs? I know there's 2 fronts, 3 of the blue/purple wit yellow fins and two of the very light colored ones.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I have a mixed bunch of cichlids in my tank theyre all tiny and its a 120 gallon.
7 Labeotropheus x zebra hybrids of some kind (blotched, with orange blue and gray)
4 yellow labs
4 kenyi 1m 3f (yellow male, bright blue females)
3 Greshakei (one albino, 2 purplish colored)
1 Johanni (musty light bluish yellow, its still maturing)
1 unknown (blue and black with a windowed páttern)
1 metriaclima callainos (bright ice blue)
2 fryeri (electric blue haps)
1 borleyi kadango (red head and blue body)
2 OB peacock mbuna hybrid
1 milomo

and 5 white skirt tetras for aggression dispersal

It sounds like a lot I know but in a 120 you could have 30+ Mbuna. they really like to be overcrowded and it helps curb aggression, so the more the merrier. which is funny because its the exact opposite of other fish. I have a good mix of color and aggression levels. My fish all get on great right now and Although the mix is pretty random I SHOULD be okay because so far my kenyi male isnt an *******, and they can be the worst when dominant.

with your selection you want to stick to other low to medium aggression cichlids like Socolofi, Zebras that come in red blue or anywhere inbetween, or you could push up the numbers of the fish you already have, get a whole bunch more labeotropheus, zebras or electric yellowlabs. More acei is usually good too, they are very social.

all in all you have a nice mix and you should be able to get a lot of color from them.

and yeah this forums really only most active for american cichlids and monster fish, most african keepers will use other sites. Also i stopped posting here cause a guy was being an ******* to me at every turn and the moderators never did anything so i just went elsewhere, which is a shame cause this sites awesome, just a shame when some people ruin it.

Spontaneous

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
SE Washington
Do you think JDs would be ok in my tank? The fronts are going down the road, along with a couple of the dark ones and possibly the yellows but I just came across some EBJDs and was instantly wow'ed lol. It was electric blue but black/silver. Would look fantastic in my tank!

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
They already have electric blue Ahli and electric blue Johanni that could go with your fish just fine and have that same color. I have heard of many people who are unfamiliar of the difference between american and african cichlids that have kept JDs with africans. You could try it and could be succesful, but Electric blues are very weak and a lot less aggressive, the africans might be able to bully them or kill them easily. I have however seen some pretty feisty EBJDs too.

its your call but the EBJD could just be kept solo in a small tank otherwise.

Female Kenyi, demasoni (pure evil unless 10+) Socolofi, Metriaclima Callainos, Scianchromis fryeri, Cyrtacara Moorii are all Africans you could keep in there that have bright blue coloration or black and blue

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store